Return to AOC or give Aion a try?

Again I canceled my preorder because Aion doesn't really do anything special or appeal to me in any way. It is your stereotypical MMO but looks considerably nicer, which currently isn;t enough to get me back into the genre. Perhaps I'm just too old and my time is much more valuable now, but Aion doesn't do anything that makes me go wow, other than the initial thrill factor of flying and some of the zones.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well except for the fact that I really don't think it looks all that good IMO. I mean, it looks alright for an MMO I guess but I really haven't been blown away by the graphics like everyone else.

As for the game itself, Aion honestly offers nothing new but it does offer enough for it to stand on it's own. I wanted to cancel my pre-order but since I did so via Steam, I cant cancel so I'll play it a few days at least. MMOs are getting stale for me as a whole though and I'm especially getting since of the typical fantasy ones with the same old classes and magic and weapons and zzzzzzzzz *snore*.

Aion for sure, open beta is kickin ass so far.

They improve on a lot of other things MMO's have done in the past.

The game is not a grinder like these other tools are saying.

The game is beatiful (art style and graphics) and runs smooth as hell even in open beta. I'm sorry for you folks that it looks bad or runs like crap, you guys are running on some garbage machines, sad. I played every single MMO out there and the worse one I've ever played was Age of Conan, first 20 levels was cool after that complete junk. I'd suggest EQ2 over AoC or even Warhammer.

In conclusion, my experience so far as been enjoyable for my wife and I in Aion and we're glad we pre-ordered.

Last edited:
I also agree on Aion. The graphics are amazing compared to other mmo's ive seen. I think it takes more than a few lvls for you to dive into Aion. If you haven't hit lvl 25 and seen the abyss then you are missing alot.

I think you have to experience more than the starter area to really see what this game has in store.

The game is not a grinder like these other tools are saying.

way to make people's opinions a personal matter.

i am curious, with all the people saying that aion takes so much to such great new heights... i'd like some examples.

i agree regarding aoc post level 20 in the state it was in at launch. no idea how it is now though.

MMOs are getting stale for me as a whole though and I'm especially getting since of the typical fantasy ones with the same old classes and magic and weapons and zzzzzzzzz *snore*.

i hear you on that and what you said about your time.

way to make people's opinions a personal matter.

Because the game isn't a grind. it is one of the easiest MMO's I've ever played to level up in. After 3 weekends playing casually I was almost max level. The same thing can not be said about Lineage 2 or even AoC for that matter.

i am curious, with all the people saying that aion takes so much to such great new heights... i'd like some examples.

I can think of none really except for the abyss and flying which kinda gets a little old after the ooo and ahh factor wears off. Aion is your standard MMO, just easier.

i hear you on that and what you said about your time.

Think most of the early MMO vets are getting this way. Been doing this since Meridan 59 way back in the day. Coming up on almost 2 decades worth of MMO's, things just get stale after a awhile.

Because the game isn't a grind. it is one of the easiest MMO's I've ever played to level up in. After 3 weekends playing casually I was almost max level. The same thing can not be said about Lineage 2 or even AoC for that matter.

I can think of none really except for the abyss and flying which kinda gets a little old after the ooo and ahh factor wears off. Aion is your standard MMO, just easier.

Think most of the early MMO vets are getting this way. Been doing this since Meridan 59 way back in the day. Coming up on almost 2 decades worth of MMO's, things just get stale after a awhile.

fastest MMO to level? apparently you haven't play Guild Wars.

fastest MMO to level? apparently you haven't play Guild Wars.

Sorry guild wars is not an MMO, this would be like saying the Diablo franchise is an MMO, plus I never said fastest I said one of the easiest which it is.

I'll be honest Shan, I don't think you've ever played Aion. All you ever talk about is how it is your standard "kimchi" game and it is a grind fest, neither of which are true.

Sorry guild wars is not an MMO, this would be like saying the Diablo franchise is an MMO, plus I never said fastest I said one of the easiest which it is.

I'll be honest Shan, I don't think you've ever played Aion. All you ever talk about is how it is your standard "kimchi" game and it is a grind fest, neither of which are true.

really? I actually been playing since Taiwan beta server first start.

its entirely not like what you said it was like....

and plus, I been went through largest gaming forum in asia (Bahamut), many of them have the exact same opinion as mine..

now you makes me want to question if you ever try the game before...

"PLAY IN THE OPEN BETA, download aion"

ncsoft forgot to mention you need a key. Nothing like downloading 9 gig to find out you can't play the game. :|

yeah, i did this, installed it, got to the log in screen, adjusted settings, and the found out I had to pay for a "free" key

man, I appreciate all the reply's I got to this post, but I get the feeling I limited you guys to just 2 games, so feel free to give your feelings on some other mmo's. Again, I'm sory to rehash something thats probably been covered a dozen times so feel free to go where you want with this thread.

really? I actually been playing since Taiwan beta server first start.

its entirely not like what you said it was like....

and plus, I been went through largest gaming forum in asia (Bahamut), many of them have the exact same opinion as mine..

now you makes me want to question if you ever try the game before...

What about the game is a grind? Please do tell. It is considerably faster than AoC, WAR, DAoC, AC, EQ, EQ2, and is 100 times considerably faster than either Lineage 2 or FFXI. The game is on par with WoW leveling and in some cases faster considering what Blizzard has done with WoW.

Perhaps the Taiwan version is considerably different since it is released in the Eastern market which apparently prefer more grindy games. However I'm discussing the Western release of the game, and if you consider the feedback from the overwhelming majority of beta testers in this thread alone that disagree with you about the game being a grind well, I guess there is nothing left to discuss with you.

What about the game is a grind? Please do tell. It is considerably faster than AoC, WAR, DAoC, AC, EQ, EQ2, and is 100 times considerably faster than either Lineage 2 or FFXI. The game is on par with WoW leveling and in some cases faster considering what Blizzard has done with WoW.

Perhaps the Taiwan version is considerably different since it is released in the Eastern market which apparently prefer more grindy games. However I'm discussing the Western release of the game, and if you consider the feedback from the overwhelming majority of beta testers in this thread alone that disagree with you about the game being a grind well, I guess there is nothing left to discuss with you.

You do realize Lineage 2 is not grind at all between level 1-40 (1-30 is like 2-3 hours, after that it takes about a day to get up to lv40), but after that is just entirely chaotic and stupid, same goes to AION...
If you play both Aion beta and Lineage 2, you should know that....

and no, there is no such thing as "majority" in this thread to begin with, if you truly want to discuss you should know why Lineage 2 and Aion are very comparable, and both MMO are similar and same generic in term of RPG system.
but if you still think your own personal opinion is what the actual game experience is, then I agree with you, there is no discussion to begin with.

You do realize Lineage 2 is not grind at all between level 1-40 (1-30 is like 2-3 hours, after that it takes about a day to get up to lv40), but after that is just entirely chaotic and stupid, same goes to AION...
If you play both Aion beta and Lineage 2, you should know that..

Haven't played Lineage 2 since it released and back then it wasn't fast at all to level. Could be spent most of my time PvP'ing but from what I remember L2 was slow and tedious in all areas. Aion was nothing like that in any way shape or form...

and no, there is no such thing as "majority" in this thread to begin with, if you truly want to discuss you should know why Lineage 2 and Aion are very comparable, and both MMO are similar and same generic in term of RPG system.

Uh yes there is a majority consensus. If the two are so much alike then please describe in detail what makes it a grind so people can choose to buy or not to buy. That is kinda the purpose of this thread, or at least I think it is from time to time. Just coming into every thread that has Aion in and saying it is a kimchi game does no one any good.

I can tell you from 1 to 38 with the rare exception of doing a group quest the game was well laid out with a plethora of quests to keep you busy and the story line is decent, enough to keep me coming back to see how it turned out. There was a great balance of solo and group quests especially early on and the zones were spread out enough that it didn't feel like a cluster hump.

However, again Aion does nothing new and doesn't do anything exceptionally well that makes this game stand out from WoW or LoTRO which IMO are the top two MMO's for questing, storylines, depth, breadth, and content. Aion stands on its own but it doesn't deliver anything currently that would draw anyone away from those two games other than its the next new thing on the market.

but if you still think your own personal opinion is what the actual game experience is, then I agree with you, there is no discussion to begin with.

Personal opinion is important, but personal opinion backed up with facts or statements is more important then just yelling kimchi game in every thread and sounding like a racist biased troll.

I heard the NA version gives more exp than the Asia version because it starts at version 1.5 or whatever... thats when the exp started ramping up. Could just be me though.

However, again Aion does nothing new and doesn't do anything exceptionally well that makes this game stand out from WoW or LoTRO which IMO are the top two MMO's for questing, storylines, depth, breadth, and content. Aion stands on its own but it doesn't deliver anything currently that would draw anyone away from those two games other than its the next new thing on the market.

WoW doesn't do anything marvelous either TBH. Endgame is okay, but was much more fun in TBC and vanilla, crafting is okay, alot simpler then EQ2 which is good, PvP is generic. MMO != 2v2, 3v3, 5v5. Massive Multiplayer Online should be massive.

The best way to describe WoW is the sum is greater then it's parts. Again it doesn't do anything extremely well. But it doesn't do anything bad either. This makes for an overall enjoyable experience.

This weekend I tried to play and it was laggy, I'm not sure I'll play again before release but I'd like to nail down a class before release. Either going with Chanter or Spiritmaster.

Went back to AoC 3 times. Each time, I regretted it after the first day back. Even with most the bugs gone, it's still half a normal P2P game, except for its graphics, which are great.

Screw Failcom.

Go Aion.

Haven't played Lineage 2 since it released and back then it wasn't fast at all to level. Could be spent most of my time PvP'ing but from what I remember L2 was slow and tedious in all areas. Aion was nothing like that in any way shape or form...

Uh yes there is a majority consensus. If the two are so much alike then please describe in detail what makes it a grind so people can choose to buy or not to buy. That is kinda the purpose of this thread, or at least I think it is from time to time. Just coming into every thread that has Aion in and saying it is a kimchi game does no one any good.

I can tell you from 1 to 38 with the rare exception of doing a group quest the game was well laid out with a plethora of quests to keep you busy and the story line is decent, enough to keep me coming back to see how it turned out. There was a great balance of solo and group quests especially early on and the zones were spread out enough that it didn't feel like a cluster hump.

Personal opinion is important, but personal opinion backed up with facts or statements is more important then just yelling kimchi game in every thread and sounding like a racist biased troll.

Lineage 2 from beginning is like level 40-45 max if I remember correct, and not that hard to achieve that level, especially from beta, I have no idea what makes you think it is slow in every area, it only takes about a week or two to get that far.

kimchi games mean kimchi type, no other meaning than massive production of online game, and left it there until it die, its a general term that is used widely in Korean MMO Market.

Game is balance? I really don't see how it balance in any way, in early game you are right, but the later part definitely not, and its a game where you hump the monster around and nothing else in late game beside a bit of PvP, which it just like every other game with nothing special.

Aion almost have no story to begin with in later gameplay, and its nothing special to make people decide if they want to play it, just like any other kimchi game. It is not that good as some people think it should.

PS: there is a dramatic decrease on game population lately, one reason is due to massive BOT/Farmer in games that dominate most area. This problem has happen in almost all kimchi game.

Have any of you that say this game is grindy played patch 1.5? The OB started sunday and we already have people in my guild that are lvl 20 plus. With that kind of lvling it sounds like you can hit 50 in 1 month easy if you know what your doing. That doesn't sound grindy to me.

Have any of you that say this game is grindy played patch 1.5? The OB started sunday and we already have people in my guild that are lvl 20 plus. With that kind of lvling it sounds like you can hit 50 in 1 month easy if you know what your doing. That doesn't sound grindy to me.

does he play 72 hours already ? :p

that sounds really boooooring if you can hit max lvl that fast...
While I don't want a grindy mmo, a want an mmo that doesn't lvl so fast that you don't actually see what the game has to offer.

that sounds really boooooring if you can hit max lvl that fast...
While I don't want a grindy mmo, a want an mmo that doesn't lvl so fast that you don't actually see what the game has to offer.

See I never got that impression from Aion. The game did a very good job of introducing you to all the aspects it had to offer and the story line was tied into the questing and leveling system really well. If I had to I'd say it fell in between Lotro and WoW for questing and a story if that gives you an idea. Neither tedious nor constant hand holding. It seems like their main focus is the end game PvP and that is where they want you to go so they seem to try and get you there at a reasonable pace.

But it would be the equivalent of stepping up from a used Hyundai to a used Kia, nothing groundbreaking or special.about Aion other than its new and a little shinier.

Back