Return of the King: AMD HD 5970

I would say "money is no object" for so few people it doesn't generate much revenue for either company. In the grand scheme of things, a tiny fraction of people will buy 1 of these cards, let alone 2.
It does not matter how mutch it gives them back, the camp that dont offer it is the one that looses this time in the long run and the way games goes 2GB/core will be a nessecity even at lower resolutions, this is not due to "bad porting/bad optimization" it is just the way it goes right now.
Only reson why 5870 sells besides the e-penis are the lack of competion in the DX11 area that is not even usefull yet. You would be amazed how many that planing getting 2 of these cards.

NDA ends on the 19th

725/1000 MHz are the clock speeds of the 5970 (5870-X2) ... also expect a Cypress XTX and a "surprise" in Q1 from AMD

by the way, here's the "eyefinity six" 5870
http://translate.google.com/transla.../0/458/458240.shtml&rurl=translate.google.com

How dare you say that with no info for us to chew on :D What is this big "surprise" ? Any hints ? Just a faster 5890 single card ?

And how about release date for Eyefinity-6 card ? Same time as the 5970 in the next couple of weeks ?

725 mhz core on the 5970? That sounds way too slow. Are you sure that's not the spec for the 5950? The 19th huh. I guess I can wait a couple weeks longer. I like that the new 6 output card has 2GB onboard.

725 mhz core on the 5970? That sounds way too slow. Are you sure that's not the spec for the 5950? The 19th huh. I guess I can wait a couple weeks longer. I like that the new 6 output card has 2GB onboard.

yep. it is confirmed (sadly)

i certainly won't bother with it; i guess i have to fork out now for 2 5870s
. . . (after the price drop) :p

as to leaking anything else; i am in super hot water with AMD as it is; and i still have an article to write with the juicy details of their Cypress XTX.

.. i am trying to get more benches for it today .. i already have the images (and i am not sure what the hell they are really; i would say "5850-X2" although AMD *denies* their existence and even their future existence .. until i prove to myself that it is not an engineering sample of 5970 (5870-X2), no article)

I am most curious for the Eyefinity-6 card with 2gb memory on board. Will the clocks be the same as the single 5870 ? Dying to see benches of that card.

Is this a good PSU to support this card?

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NTk=

I am a noob when it comes to building systems from scratch, will I be limited with only 1 8-pin and 1 6-pin PCI-E connectors leftover? I assume I could even x-fire two 5970's in the future if I wanted to, but then what would power the rest of the system (CD Drive, Sound Card, other peripherals?) or am I missing something basic about how these peripherals get powered?

Looking at an Antec 1200 case
If you are getting an Antec 1200 case, go with the Antec CP-850 power supply: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=142

Yay! Nvidia's going down faster than Pamela Anderson's boobs!

wow intelligent post. congratulations. does anyone know if this card will have all of the shader processors of the 5870 while running 5850 clocks or actually running the same units as the 5850? hopefully its the former.

So all the rumors are pointing to this 5970 (aka 5870X2) not being what the 4870X2 was to the 4870 ? The 4870X2 was a solid 75% faster than it's single core sister, the early word on the 5970 is maybe 50% faster than it's single card at best ? That sort of sucks, unless it sell for cheap, like $499, or wishful thinking $449

Lower clocks... maybe that's why they chose 5970 instead of 5870x2 for the name?

People disappointed in the lower clocks never heard of overclocking?
If you can afford a 5970 you can probably afford a gpu waterblock and the rest of the watercooling setup.
1. Buy an XFX 5970 and overclock the hell out of it
2. Profit

XFX warranty ftw

Core clock changes didn't do much for the 4870x2 so why complain? Let them be the engineers. I remember one or two nvidia card had a low core clock but still kicked ASS.

So this card is going to be clocked lower than the 5870 due to heat issues. Though I'm curious to see how this card performs against a pair of Crossfired 5870's.

So this card is going to be clocked lower than the 5870 due to heat issues. Though I'm curious to see how this card performs against a pair of Crossfired 5870's.

Yes me too. But the cost is a major difference, 2 single 5870's will cost close to $800, where as a single 5870X2 should be $500-$600.

God, with the size of these things we're going to need some sort of new tech in the future so we can have external video-cards. Have it set up in some enclosure like an external HD, and then we can just plug-and-play it where we want. Hell, that would even let us hot swap cards as needed. Buy the best ATI and the best Nvidia card, and then you could swap them out based on which performs best in a specific game.

Okay, I'm just dreaming and rambling now.....

If you can afford a 5970 you can probably afford a gpu waterblock and the rest of the watercooling setup.
1. Buy an XFX 5970 and overclock the hell out of it
2. Profit

XFX warranty ftw
Does XFX alow you to change cooler within the warranty like EVGA and stand by it later?
Unless that is so i would not call XFX warranty FTW in any way as the way i seen some very bad results from their warranty and coolerchanges and as you said if one can afford a 5870 then you sure hell can pay the small premium to get that small piece of text written in stone like EVGA has and i know they dont buttf--k you for having changed the cooler when you need to RMA the card.

You can swap the cooler and overclock on the XFX cards. Just make sure you're registered on their site within 30 days.

Will this 5970 be good for MMO's like WoW and Eyefinity ? I currently have the single 5870, and play across 5760x1200res, and in some areas it can get a bit choppy. Would this dual GPU be better or worse for WoW ? The reason I am afraid it could be worse is because I thought some MMO's like WoW have issues with Crossfire and SLI and actually do worse in the game than a single card ? Like WoW only notices one GPU, so a dual GPU card like the GTX-295 and 4870x2 perform worse in WoW than the GTX-285 and single 4870 ? Is that still true.

I will dump this 5870 to my Brother who is looking to go Eyefinity across his 3 20" Viewsonic monitors

WoW hates dual GPUs, but it appears to hate dual ATI gpus less. I have a gtx 295, and the wow performance is identical to the gtx260 it replaced, however, one of my friends has a 4870x2, and that performs tangibly better than my 295 in WoW (but nothing else :p).

I'm sure when the 5970 hits every site will test it against the gtx295, and a few are bound to try out WoW, so it's a wait and see I guess.

Lower clocks... maybe that's why they chose 5970 instead of 5870x2 for the name?

Hah I was just reading the new posts and this is the first thing that came into my head. It makes a lot of sense now I think about it :)

With the 5870s needing 2x 6 pin and the 5970 getting 1x 6 pin and 1x 8 pin it seems to be that getting juice onto the board will be a problem probably before heat is. I had that problem with my 7950GX2 back in the day, fantastic card it was about as fast as the GTS 8800 320mb edition IIRC. And it overclocked like crazy, both the memory and the core would overclock very high on their own without any problem what so ever, but both together would not go anywhere near as high as their individual clocks. Cooling was never an issue.

Last edited:
Is this surprise Cypress XT with 384bit mem bus? B/c I am guessing that Cypress XTX will be nothing more then a clock bump with no shader/tmu increase.

Cypress XTX will be simply cherry picked GPUs that will reach a higher clockspeed; AMD is readying them for Fermi

We also got new pictures of 5950 (5850-X2) that AMD swears does not exist
(each GPU has 1440 stream processors just like 5850)
:rolleyes:

WoW hates dual GPUs, but it appears to hate dual ATI gpus less. I have a gtx 295, and the wow performance is identical to the gtx260 it replaced, however, one of my friends has a 4870x2, and that performs tangibly better than my 295 in WoW (but nothing else :p).

I'm sure when the 5970 hits every site will test it against the gtx295, and a few are bound to try out WoW, so it's a wait and see I guess.

get an SSD and your wow performance will go up

Odd, when i disable SLI my wow takes a HUGE hit. Also, all 3 of my 285s run the same temps while playing wow at 25x16. Perhaps you need a bigger monitor.

Ps i also run a vertex 120 and that made WoW load and perform a lot better.

Ok, I have decided to buy this, can I buy this before the end of the year in Canada? I need something to keep me warm during our cold winters.

Ok, I have decided to buy this, can I buy this before the end of the year in Canada? I need something to keep me warm during our cold winters.

In the Need for speed shift article they threw in test with a beta driver that seems to be the one that supports the 5970, which I guess means they may be testing the 5970 right now, so it's likely imminent :p

High demand, low stock on HD5870 and HD5850...
Two chips on one board, if you want one you better order it as soon as you see it in stock.
Unless you're willing to wait awhile.

It's been said before here, but I'm inclined to think that the current 5850/5870 shortage is directly a result of the 5970 and 5950 release. Double the chips per board. Mid November NDA for release. Even if they are soft launching, with the current problems in production, you can bet yer ass they're going to conserve all the chips they can get just for these boards.

It's been said before here, but I'm inclined to think that the current 5850/5870 shortage is directly a result of the 5970 and 5950 release. Double the chips per board. Mid November NDA for release. Even if they are soft launching, with the current problems in production, you can bet yer ass they're going to conserve all the chips they can get just for these boards.

I tend to agree with you. The 5970 and 5950 will be just as hot of a seller as the 5870 and 5850. Why not allocate more chips to your flagship?

They will sell as many of the single or dual chip cards they can make until the market is saturated.

If you want one, you'll either order it the day of release or expect to wait awhile.

My only concern is, will this beast of a dual GPU card actually be slower than a single 5870 in games like WoW, where it is said to not take advantage of SLI or Crossfire systems at all, and will actually be slower on those cards, compared to a faster single card ?
How is that a concern? WoW ran flawless on my old 9600XT. It doesn't take anything more powerful than that to run WoW and full-chat.

edit: Christ, that thing is massive.

How is that a concern? WoW ran flawless on my old 9600XT. It doesn't take anything more powerful than that to run WoW and full-chat.

edit: Christ, that thing is massive.

Try running it across 3 - 24" screens at 5760x1200res, with Ultra maxed settings and 8xMultisample, it gets pretty hard to run WoW then at those extreme settings, your 9600XT would /cry at those settings, and couldn't even handle the extra 2 monitors :rolleyes:

I have a friend who still plays WoW on the 9600GT I bought him.
He's wanting to upgrade and only plays on a 22in.

I suggested the HD5850, but I'll end up installing whatever he decides... :D

Sorry if this question was already answered, but do we have an estimated date for 5970 to be released? If not what do you guys estimate? And in terms of % how much better do you guys think this will be compared to 5870? Im thinking of getting 5870 next week or so and trying to see if i should wait

Now I see why AMD isn't supplying 58xx cards. They want to make sure that those that were going to shell-out $400 for a 5870 now be so desperate they will spend the $500-600 that the 59xx are going to cost.

Sorry if this question was already answered, but do we have an estimated date for 5970 to be released? If not what do you guys estimate? And in terms of % how much better do you guys think this will be compared to 5870? Im thinking of getting 5870 next week or so and trying to see if i should wait

When Crossfire Eyefinity is fixed, we will see the 5970.

Look out for the next driver update.

Back