Return 7950GX2 for X1950XTX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorn

Limp Gawd
I had some Micro Center store credit, so I purchased a 7950GX2 on 8/15. After seeing some of the benchmarks on the X1950XTX, it seems like it is on par with the 7950GX2 with better picture quality.

I have until 9/15 to just return/exchange the 7950GX2, do you guys think it would be worth doing? The 7950 was $650, and with the X1950XTX supposed to retail for $450, it seems like it would be worth doing.

What do you all recommend?

If the benchmarks for the games you want to play are equivalent or in favor of the X1950XTX then do it by all means. $200 will get you alot of beer or other computer parts!!!!

With a re-designed heatsink/fan unit, faster memory, and lowered price, the ATI Radeon X1950 XTX and CrossFire Edition are both serious 3D gaming video cards for the [H]ardcore that offer some value over NVIDIA’s more expensive 7950 GX2.

From [H]ards review of the 1950

I think x1950xtx will be the right choice. The 7950GX2 has some compatibility issues, as well as mouse lag issues for some users, and it will not texture filtering on par with ATI's, as well as the lack of HDR+AA. And performance imo, is good enough for most resolutions and AA levels in most games. I don't think that the 7950GX2 will provide a 50% better experience for the 50% increase in cash.

Its insane that people are actually recommending you exchanges it.... Do you get any credit back at least or is it a straight swap?

I own both an X1900XTX and 7950GX2, this is NOT an upgrade.. Just to add my X1900XTX is clocked at 700/1700 so will outperform the X1950XTX and is still no match for the GX2 even at stock...

Zorn, not that you need to but have you overclocked your card? you can get a large boost just an overclock if you feel you need one..

As for IQ, enable HQ ! HDR+AA is supported by no games at all, it only works on obivion with the chuck drivers... So basically if you all you play is obivion then go for it, otherwise its probably the worst exchange ever especially considering its worth less then the 7950GX2. :confused:

Would you rather have a superior IQ and $200, or 10 more FPS? Come to your own conclusion ;)

chris.c said:
Would you rather have a superior IQ and $200, or 10 more FPS? Come to your own conclusion ;)

If he gets the credit back then its not all bad but he shouldn’t be under any illusion these cards have equal performance because he will notice the reduced performance and will not notice any difference in IQ because there really isn’t one..

All comes down to which games he plays and what resolution/settings he uses..

he shouldn’t be under any illusion these cards have equal performance because he will notice the reduced performance

Correct, he should expect to see a ~10fps drop across the board.

and will not notice any difference in IQ because there really isn’t one..

Shocky, you spent $700 on a video card that looks worse than a $500 video card and it is completely normal to try to justify your purchase by lying to yourself, claiming there is no IQ difference. Just don't spread your propaganda to other people, that way they won't make the same mistake you did.

Fact is: 7950gx2 gets a higher framerate. 1950xtx looks better.

The other option would be to wait and see if the DX10 cards come out within 90 days, and I can use my eVGA step up on that...assuming the cards come out within 3 months.

The other option would be to wait and see if the DX10 cards come out within 90 days, and I can use my eVGA step up on that...assuming the cards come out within 3 months.

I had to wait in a queue for a bit when I stepped my 7800gtx to a 7900gtx, but other than that it is a great system and you should use it. I would probably hold onto that 7950, deal with the IQ, and pray that nvidia fixes those issues with the G80. If not, you can sell the brand new DX10 card that you get via the step up program and buy the R600.

chris.c said:
Correct, he should expect to see a ~10fps drop across the board.

Shocky, you spent $700 on a video card that looks worse than a $500 video card and it is completely normal to try to justify your purchase by lying to yourself, claiming there is no IQ difference. Just don't spread your propaganda to other people, that way they won't make the same mistake you did.

Fact is: 7950gx2 gets a higher framerate. 1950xtx looks better.

The eye candy sliders can be cranked higher with a 7950 because it can handle the extra work load. Thus the 7950 would have better iq at playable settings.

What nobody has pointed out is you got screwed when u paid $650 in the first place. I bought XFX GeForce 7950 GX2 M520 1 GB DDR3 around the 8-15 through dell, with a 25% discount. Shpping, tax, came to $511.00. Its your money, do what u want.

Firebat said:
The eye candy sliders can be cranked higher with a 7950 because it can handle the extra work load. Thus the 7950 would have better iq at playable settings.
well some people seem to think that ATI has better IQ no matter what settings you use for Nvidia.

anyway the store price will probably be much higher than $449 for the x1950xtx. you will have to mail order to get that price. of course he could have just mail ordered a 7950gx2 for $499 to begin with.

trek554 said:
well some people seem to think that ATI has better IQ no matter what settings you use for Nvidia.

it's a fact that ATI has better IQ than NV at any and every settings ,

some people just refuse to accept it

chris.c said:

QFT - this man is smart.

bobrownik said:
it's a fact that ATI has better IQ than NV at any and every settings ,

some people just refuse to accept it

QFT - he has a point too.

GEFORCE 7950 runs Faster then Latest Radeon 1950. Sot that would definately be an upgrade. But if you look at price different. Get Radeon bcuz You might wanna save money for DX 10 card.

Firebat said:

That's a complete blanket statement, as extra load vs. playable settings is VERY VERY largely based on resolution.

He hasn't mentioned anything of the monitor/resolution he's using, unless I missed it somewhere.

In the last few months, I have owned the following cards...

1900XTX - was nice but not as amazing as everybody said. (My opinion)

then i sold it and got a 7900 GTX. I had the strange texture problems within 3 days.

Sent that back and got another 7900 GTX... same texture problems after a couple days.

Then sent that back and got the Saphire Toxic X1900XTX. performed identical to the first 1900XTX but it was quieter. Still, not as amazing (image quality-wise) as others have stated.

Just a couple weeks ago, I got the MSI 7950GTX2 and to me, it is a better card. I think my games play better and look better then they did on the 1900XTX. Now I know the 1950xtx will be faster because of the GDDR4, but it has the same GPU as the 1900xtx so it really should not look that much better. I would stay with the 7950GTX2 if it were me.

Also, is there even the slightest plan for going dual 7950's? Does your motherboard support it? If so, I would stick with the 7950.

Also, if you are a tweaker type, I think the nVidia drivers offer more stuff to play with and settings to try. Also, there are always new beta drivers to play with - if you like trying new stuff.

Just my two cents.

darkjedi said:

then i sold it and got a 7900 GTX. I had the strange texture problems within 3 days.

Sent that back and got another 7900 GTX... same texture problems after a couple days.

Then sent that back and got the Saphire Toxic X1900XTX. performed identical to the first 1900XTX but it was quieter. Still, not as amazing (image quality-wise) as others have stated.

Just a couple weeks ago, I got the MSI 7950GTX2 and to me, it is a better card. I think my games play better and look better then they did on the 1900XTX. Now I know the 1950xtx will be faster because of the GDDR4, but it has the same GPU as the 1900xtx so it really should not look that much better. I would stay with the 7950GTX2 if it were me.

Also, is there even the slightest plan for going dual 7950's? Does your motherboard support it? If so, I would stick with the 7950.

Also, if you are a tweaker type, I think the nVidia drivers offer more stuff to play with and settings to try. Also, there are always new beta drivers to play with - if you like trying new stuff.

Just my two cents.
its 7950GX2 but you said 7950GTX2 twice in your post. please call it by the right name since we already have enough confused people around here. ;)

Well... my friend and I have identical rigs except for he has a 7900GT and I have an X1900XT and there is a noticable IQ difference between the two at the same settings in the same game with the same monitor. Every lan we have he asks why my game looks better and all I tell him is that he shoulda listened to me ;)

darkjedi said:

Just my two cents.

Sorry but thats fucking rediculus. Your way too picky if you ask me. It's not a "texture problem" it's called shimmering. You know what driver settings are? Change them. why would you even go to a 7900gtx from a 1900xtx if you knew they were the same speed range? You did that twice? Nobody is saying that the image quality is "amazing" just less shimmering and such. How long you going to keep the gx2 :rolleyes: ;)

I noticed a reduction in IQ switching from an x1800XL to a 7900GT. To make the GT look as nice as the XL, I need to use AA and AF. There's more texture shimmering and crawling (the crawling is nasty) with the GT too. I kind of wish I waited and picked up a 512mb x1900XT instead, but when I got the GT I didn't know that the XT's prices would drop in 2-3 days :( (and $300 was a good price for a 512mb 7900GT). The pluses are that this card is really fast and I can jack the AA and AF up to make up for some of the loss.

FWIW, I thought about buying a GX2 a few months ago, but instead I got a 20" LCD.

Shocky said:

oh man, yeah Hard OCP says its a downgrade!

you will be severly dissapointed with your decision if you go with an X1950 XTX, by trading in a 7950.

and ati stock drivers suck, so they invented ATI tool. best. utillity. ever.

Geforce drivers (cracked with cool bits of course) were nice, so no one was outraged that they couldnt change clock settings, and so no new utillity for them (until recently) was made. course now you have Ntune5, which has many-a-quirk with my NForce 2 Ultra... "WARNING! SLi has been disabled! for better performance you should turn it on" :D

anywho Ntune 5, if it works well on the Nforce 5 platform (which i spect it does) would be awsome.... so driver settings, ATI tool vs Ntune 5, both awsome. but historically (and i can back this, 6600GT oced 70MHz, X700PRO oced 45MHz) ati doesnt overclock as high.

MrWizard6600 said:
oh man, yeah Hard OCP says its a downgrade!

you will be severly dissapointed with your decision if you go with an X1950 XTX, by trading in a 7950.

I think that is too "severe". He'll notice a 10-20% lower framerate in most games, yeah. For $200 I would make that tradeoff. Considering both cards will be mid-range by january (and no taxing games are coming out until then), I would use that money for the next round of upgrades.

ITSTHINKING said:
Sorry but thats fucking rediculus. Your way too picky if you ask me. It's not a "texture problem" it's called shimmering. You know what driver settings are? Change them. why would you even go to a 7900gtx from a 1900xtx if you knew they were the same speed range? You did that twice? Nobody is saying that the image quality is "amazing" just less shimmering and such. How long you going to keep the gx2 :rolleyes: ;)

Why would you even pick up a 7900GTX. What a waste of money.

pakotlar said:

:rolleyes:......

ITSTHINKING said:

yeah because shimmering appears after 3 days right? thats what happens. for the first 3 days your IQ is awsome! then after 3 you get marching ants. you call the exterminator, he sprays your computer, and everythings like new again.

read the post. hes probibly talking about the infamous early model problemos. there was a reload to deal with the issue it sounds like your having.

pakotlar said:

Right... what an idiotic statement. You should just keep your hands in your lap. Stop typing

The 1950 is slower than the 7950X2 and the more eyecandy you turn on, the bigger the difference gets. What good is the so called "better" IQ of the 1950 (which is basically non-existent, if you ask me), if you can't use AA and AF to the extend you can with the 7950X2? And if you use higher resolutions, then the gap widens even more.
At a certain point in the future it will come down to speed if you want to play new games - so the 7950X2 is more futureproof - if you can say that about DX9 cards at this time :)

Why do people refuse to accept that ATi has much better anisotropic filtering?

Let's weigh this out... he's going to get $200 and a lower frame rate with nicer texture filtering, and the fact he still has a top end card, maybe you people should be thankful you can afford that instead of bickering about some added frames per second.

Borgschulze said:

Let's weigh this out... he's going to get $200 and a lower frame rate with nicer texture filtering, and the fact he still has a top end card, maybe you people should be thankful you can afford that instead of bickering about some added frames per second.

i like it when people also say its non existant as well, especially when their shots and movies showing the exact opposite (and most of them being quite noticable).

Don't forget that you have option for AA with HDR in some games that the NV cards don't support...

Borgschulze said:

I will agree that ATI may have better anisotropic filtering, but if people would realise that if you just moved the settings to "High Quality" instead of leaving the default "Quality" on the nvidia driver, then your not going to know the difference unless you probably strained your eyes to notice. Yes, the images will look different because they are two different cards, but whose to judge what looks better. I have never seen this "shimmering" problem people complain of. I had an X1800XT before I upgrade to the 7900gtx and I could not tell a difference.

Also, If I were you, Id keep the 7950gx2. Youll easily be able to step up to the G80 as it should be release within the next month I heard. The x1950xtx is current technology with a better cooler. Benchmarks were not impressive. Its only able to compete with 7950gx2 because of price. WAIT FOR NEXT GEN!

Zorn, ignore all the biased crap m8, if you need the money go for it but you will get reduced performance especially at 1600*1200+ and you will not notice any difference in IQ once the GX2 is bumped upto High Quality filtering... Plus the 7950GX2 will benefit you allot more in upcoming shader heavy games where every frame will count..

It's.sad, as allot of the comments here are worse then the crap posted at rage3d... :(

Nirad9er said:
I will agree that ATI may have better anisotropic filtering, but if people would realise that if you just moved the settings to "High Quality" instead of leaving the default "Quality" on the nvidia driver, then your not going to know the difference unless you probably strained your eyes to notice. Yes, the images will look different because they are two different cards, but whose to judge what looks better. I have never seen this "shimmering" problem people complain of. I had an X1800XT before I upgrade to the 7900gtx and I could not tell a difference.

Also, If I were you, Id keep the 7950gx2. Youll easily be able to step up to the G80 as it should be release within the next month I heard. The x1950xtx is current technology with a better cooler. Benchmarks were not impressive. Its only able to compete with 7950gx2 because of price. WAIT FOR NEXT GEN!

Thats just not true. Using HQ and LOD on clamp I still saw more crawling than I ever saw with an ATI card. The plain and simple fact is that ATI does have better IQ.

Why are most of the review still using NV's Quality option? There isn't even an IQ comparison with Quality - I would like to see NV remove the Quality option altogether and then the reviews would give us a better idea of performance from ATI to NV.

dnottis said:
Thats just not true. Using HQ and LOD on clamp I still saw more crawling than I ever saw with an ATI card. The plain and simple fact is that ATI does have better IQ.

Why are most of the review still using NV's Quality option? There isn't even an IQ comparison with Quality - I would like to see NV remove the Quality option altogether and then the reviews would give us a better idea of performance from ATI to NV.

I disagree, there is still shimmering even on ATI cards, HQ on 7900's does reduce it to the same level if not better.. ATI cards don't properly render some gfx, good examples are fences, with an ATI card you will notice gaps in the fences especially at a distaince where its just not rendering it fully... You don't get that to the same degree on nvidia cards..

This is like trading an BMW for a Mercedes.... Some of you guys have way too much money. ;p

(Translation - You have a NICE video card, just stick with it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back