• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Retro laptop needs a cpu upgrade.

elvis1

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
88
Hi guys I have a t5600 which I want to replace by something with more processing power but at a reasonable price.
The laptop is m-285 e and I find it tough to determine which type of cpus would be suitable.
I'd been doing my homework but there are lots of opinion but I could not nail down anyone which will suit and that is not crazy concerning price for such an old product.

Also need quick shipping to wellington, fl as my relative won't stay long in the US ( just visiting).

Regards
 
I know many of you guys have pockets and would not even consider in wasting your time in helping me out for something related to a core 2 duo.
Thing is that my country is going through a super complicated crisis where we are not allowed to import stuff like laptops where American dollar used to be 1:1 and now is 1:16 so yeah It's hard.
I'm trying to give my dad a very basic laptop that does not crawl and works in an acceptable way.
 
Gateway shipped that model with several different Socket M processors: https://web.archive.org/web/2008040...way.com/s/Mobile/Q106/ViperC/1008804cl3.shtml

You may have gotten a quicker response if this was posted in the right forum (mobile computing), but really that link to gateway support above was in one of the first google results for gateway m-285 e. It literally took less than a minute to find a list of compatible processors for that laptop.

eBay is a good source for cheap laptop processors and if that's not acceptable you will have to find one that is yourself. There isn't some magical store to recommend that stocks everything at a low price and meets one person's particular special needs.
 
Gateway shipped that model with several different Socket M processors: .

Thanks, I was not aware of such thing, that does thing more complex than I thought!
Would a cat /proc/cpuinfo help ?


"Wayback Machine doesn't have that page archived."



You may have gotten a quicker response if this was posted in the right forum (mobile computing),
I'm new to this forum but I believe it can be either placed in any of the two and if I could have got quicker replies ( and knew it) I would have done it.


but really that link to gateway support above was in one of the first google results for gateway m-285 e.

It literally took less than a minute to find a list of compatible processors for that laptop.

I would thank you if you pasted down here given I can't find myself.

eBay is a good source for cheap laptop processors and if that's not acceptable you will have to find one that is yourself. There isn't some magical store to recommend that stocks everything at a low price and meets one person's particular special needs

Are you being sarcastic or it was just a bad day for me?
 
He's not being sarcastic at all. Some people are just uppity lol.

Give me a second and I'll see if I can find that mysterious list.
 
I see a lot of t7600 suggestions.. and all say you cannot use the P variation, only the M.

From the one spec I saw its running a 479 mPGA socket (socket m).. doesn't list the TDP though. When I upgraded my laptop I had to find out what range of TDP I could handle and which processors (2 or 4 cores) I could run and then get a mobile CPU that ran within those boundaries.

I have read that you also might need a bios update but I was lucky enough to not need one.
 
Back
Top