• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Retrieving Windows 7 key

Roberty

Cat Can't Scratch It
Joined
Nov 30, 2001
Messages
69,718
I bought a laptop (a Gateway) a few months back mainly because it was a good deal and it had a legit Windows 7 install on it (not an OEM install). Well the motherboard died on it and it would cost more than the laptop is worth to replace it so I was going to take the hard drive out of it and put it in another laptop so I could transfer the Windows 7 over to the new laptop. Here's where the problem starts - it blue screens and won't get into Windows on the new laptop. The startup repair won't fix it either. Is there any way to retrieve the Windows 7 key without actually being booted into Windows such as if I put the drive in my desktop as a slave?
 
That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!!
 
Back
Top