• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Retrieving key from Windows 7

Potatocodone

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 30, 2008
Messages
4,859
I bought my laptop from the MS Store meaning not only do I have HP bloatware but I also have MS Store bloatware on top of it.

I remove most of the bloatware and use my laptop for roughly 4 months so far. I been meaning to reinstall a clean Windows 7 Home Premium OEM but I noticed my COA sticker is wearing out (does anyone else notice how the newer COA stickers wear out so much quicker than the old ones from like XP or early Vista?).

Anyone know a way to retrieve my key? My Windows 7 is working fine but I would like to have my key just in case and not regret it getting it before something bad happen.
 
Right-click Computer, select Properties. Should be at the bottom under "Windows activation."
 
Right-click Computer, select Properties. Should be at the bottom under "Windows activation."

Umm.... that's not the key. I am not sure what it is, but it does NOT match the key that I had to type into my machine when I installed Win7.
 
Many times, the key loaded on the OEM Pre-Install is an OEM generic key, and does not match whats on your COA sticker. Basically, If I ran JKF on all the Dell systems in my lab, they'd all return the same key. :p
 
OEM pre-install keys are commonly referred to as "royalty keys" and they are embedded in the distributions (aka the branded copies of Windows included with the OEM machines from Dell, HP, Gateway, etc). They are the same for all the branded OEM machines for a given edition (meaning on all Dells running XP Home, they all use the same exact royalty key, same for XP Pro, Vista Home Premium, etc).

The key printed on the COA stickers is useless for almost all intents and purposes; the sticker itself determines and defines the license, not the key printed on it.

The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder does work with Windows 7 just fine but it depends on the version of Windows 7 you have. It works on retail copies, but not volume license or MAK versions (those given to school students, or used in business institutions, etc). Explained here:

http://www.mjbforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=399

But for retail and OEM copies (like Dell, HP, Gateway, etc) it should list the royalty key just fine.
 
I have used Belarc Advisor in Win xp for various set ups. It says it supports win7.
 
Back
Top