• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

retrieving data from old HDD

McRackin

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
284
I tried hooking up an old HDD to my newer computer. Long story short, I forgot to turn off my computer before hooking it up lol. I saw a spark ignite and I'm basically like, ah shit, its toast.

Is there any way to retrieve the data from the HDD if I shorted it?
 
I saw a spark ignite and I'm basically like, ah shit, its toast.

A spark does not mean the drive is dead. Did you somehow manage to put the power cable in backwards or miss the pin alignment or something like that? I have hot swapped drives (even ide) for over a decade with no issues at all.


Is there any way to retrieve the data from the HDD if I shorted it?
If the drive really is shorted out you will have to replace its controller board. You will need a similar drive of the same type and swap the card.
 
Last edited:
its possible, but i doubt it. the power connectors have plastic clips on the end that make it impossible to put them in backwards
 
I have done that several times (on purpose) back in the PATA days, stopped after a time when I saw sparks, but never actually killed a drive. So yeah, try again (with the computer off, this time).
 
Inspect the PCB. Look for anything that looks burnt. Remove the PCB from the HDD and see the reverse side too.
 
Back
Top