Retail stores: Do they care anymore?

NulloModo

Supreme [H]ardness
I have recently had the (dis)pleasure of having to shop for a number of items in retail stores due to moving into a new apartment on my own and realizing that a number of items I took for granted actually belonged to my roomate.

In the course of this I have scoured numerous Office Depotes, Offices Maxes, Circuit Citys and Best Buys. The one conclusion I have come up with is that most of the stores I have been to don't even seem to try.

For example: I went to an Office Max to get a computer chair, took me forever to find someone, and when I finally did, and pointed out the chair I wanted in the add, he took me to a completely different model (swearing it was the one in the add) even though the only thing in common was that they were a similar shade of brown leather, I eventually found the chair I was looking for, and bought it, but still, I was a bit unimpressed. Later I was on a search for a desk for said computer (the previous desk was actually mine, but apparently an Antec/Chieftec Dragon case sitting on the CPU shelf of a $30 or so Wal-Mart desk for a couple years destroys the structural integrity of said desk) and when I explained what I wanted (small, simple, cheap) the salesguy repeatedly showed me to these absolutely huge wrap-around desks with hutches and etc that both didn't fit into what I was willing to pay and wouldn't fit into the space I had in mind.

I did finally find a desk at Best Buy (actually the guy at that time was fairly helpful, he also set me up with a nice microwave (which I also needed), I pointed out a desk I was interested in that was retailing for $89 in black, but then he said they had the same thing in silver for $39 on clearance, so I was all over it, on the microwave front I told him I was willing to spend up to $150, and he found one that met my needs for $65 (so as a plug, if you are ever in Ft. Myers, FL, and near a best buy, seek out Steve from Appliances, he is a stand up guy).

So back to Office Depot and later best buy to check out computer speakers today, and though both had speakers set up for demonstration, neither had a set-up that worked. I ended up just figuring to try my luck at BB with a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1s (after finally getting someone to pull up a spec sheet for me (after about three attempts, the first two guys said they would be right back and never returned)).

I used to work retail at Circuit City, and honestly, I would be damned ashamed of myself and any of my co-workers if they showed this level of ingornance and general disinterest. Granted, I worked at CC when it was commission based on sales, which may have led some salespeople to be a bit aggressive, but at the same time it drove people to know the product and to help the customers as much as they could. I have never been that into online shopping (I hate paying shipping and hate waiting even more) but if this is the way things are going to go, I might just get into it (especially since I now live in a state that has fracking sales tax).

So what are all of your opinions ? Is retail destined to die in the tech world due to disinterest from the staff and cheaper prices online, or do you still believe it is worth getting to play with your computers and gadgets in person before you buy them?

to me online is the way to go. I stopped buying stuff in the store a long time ago for that same reason.

NulloModo said:
So what are all of your opinions ? Is retail destined to die in the tech world due to disinterest from the staff and cheaper prices online, or do you still believe it is worth getting to play with your computers and gadgets in person before you buy them?

I think its more up toward the employer/managers etc to make sure their employees dont suck. I worked at walmart for 6 months in lawn and garden after I got back from the USAF, Im not much of a garden person... I know BBQs and lawnmowers, thats about it. I Dont think im the only one, but If someone was in asking me about things I didnt know about or couldnt help them with... I made pretty damn sure someone else would be there asap to help the customer figure out exactly what they needed, for two reasons:

1. I dont like to listen to customers complain and tell me about how the store sucks (let me tell you... oh man oh man, do they like to complain)
2. Im not good at making up BS on the spot.
3. Being fired for not helping customers wasnt a top priority for me.

But as far as being a customer in other stores go...Im 6'6", I have two monitors on my desk and a laser printer, I have back problems, and I usually have many soda cans strewn about my desk... Hell yes, I will try out computer chairs, desks, mouses, cases etc in person. I want to know, with a chair, how far I can lean back. I want to see if It can withstand 10+ hours of non-stop sitting (studying for finals/ebay/excessive hardforum addiction)... Online sucks for many things unless you already know what your buying.

I shop around for expensive things too, like tools/cars/computers. I really dont care what price things are, Im usually looking for a few things in a store. Im looking for employees that kiss my ass and bug me at least a half dozen times in one half hour if Im looking for something/need help finding something, and im looking for information on products.

I really could care less what they are charging, if the employees/owners dont really seem to be interested in helping or are mildly rude, im going to a different place. You can call me stubborn, old fasion, or distrustfull... But Im not going to give anyone my buisnuss, who isnt interested enough in helping me to take the 200-300 bucks im wanting to blow.

Though none of this is going to get you anywhere on the forums. If you were really that upset about the service you received at that store, I would have asked for the manager/supervisor and (without acting like a 5-year old/drunk redneck) told him/her why you and your friends/family will no longer be visiting that particular store.

Yea I've had a lot of shitty experiences with retail but to be fair a lot of times when I got looking I know more about what I'm looking for then I would expect a retail employee to know. One place I usually get good experience is compusa but the IT Firm I work for has a business account with them. As long as our guy is there service rocks. He is like the only good business rep though. He is one of the only reasons we go there. We are in the store many times at least once a week picking up something(replacement mice/keyboards, ups', memory etc).

some things you just gotta see in person. and if its worth having that instant, go for it. if you can wait, then give ur pocket some breathing room and order it online. as far as salesmen go, its the luck of the draw... so its best to do your own research online first, and talk with others who know what they're talkin about.

Many managers of various local stores (except Frys which actually has a decent selection of goods at fair prices) agree that there is absolutely no beating etailers in terms of stock, price, and customer service. Many of them told me these stores are for people who either A) don't trust the internet B) don't know how to use the internet C) need a helping hand with their purchasing because lets face it, the etailers can be a pretty intimidating thing especially with all the talk of identity theft and such...

There probably aren't too many small businesses that sell office equipment still (desks and chairs), but if you want the level of service that you apparently expect, you may want to look around for a small business that prides itself on its' service, and has employees that actually know the products they sell.

Small Business can still be competitive in terms of B&M pricing, but usually have much better service. Now, if you are looking for price, and service isn't all that important...online is the way to go, especially if you know what you are looking for.

I am not saying that etailers can't/don't provide great service.

Back