Retail Steam Machine Prototype

so if anyone can answer what makes this a better buy over say an XBone or PS4 I would gladly appreciate it.

The box looks nice, sort of in an Apple products design. The system specs seem inline with the Xbox or PS but has an addition graphic card.

Again still confused on what this offers over a console.

There's a rumor going around that it comes with an AMD GPU.

This isn't going to end well.

I like it.
If they can make the colour and brightness selectable, it would be really good.
Even better if they make each LED programmable so you can do moving patterns with colour and brightness.

It looks a ton nicer than either the PS4 or Xbone.

Because not all of us have the ability or desire to shove everything in a closet hidden away. So yes aesthetics are also of interest when purchasing a new device. I know Surprise surprise, not everyone wants just a plain beige box. It isn't about just the TV. Some of us have invested quite a bit of time and effort making our "entertainment space" Look nice. From the furniture, to the walls and lighting to even how the media space is laid out. So yes, having one device that sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest is undesirable.

So your argument is you have the money but you just don't have a closet near by or desire to hide your equipment? You can literally run absurd lengths of HDMI now with a single repeater you know , not expensive.

I get the idea but I think people spend far too much time worrying about the aesthetics of their electronics. I know people that won't deviate from Apple products because of aesthetics and I think that's just plain dumb. To limit your choices strictly because of how something looks is .. pure vanity.

I'm not saying you need to buy butt ugly gear but perhaps the focus on aesthetics is a bit to narrow and all in all things have improved since the 80's , I think its less of an issue now and more of people wanting that almost cold futurist look to their entertainment center and are willing to pay for inferior equipment to populate it.

so if anyone can answer what makes this a better buy over say an XBone or PS4 I would gladly appreciate it.

The box looks nice, sort of in an Apple products design. The system specs seem inline with the Xbox or PS but has an addition graphic card.

Longview, think of Steambox = a console that supports mods. Think the difference between Skyrim on Xbox360 and Skyrim on PC all modded to hell and back.

Interesting. I saw that the Steam OS writeup, and although its innovative seems like a page from the playbooks at PS and Xbox.

Once we get the launch editions at CES Ill guess Ill understand better.

This is only one companies portfolio, they may do a higher end design and other manufacturers are sure to have offerings.
The specs for a Steambox are wide open, you should be able to buy as powerful a machine as you like.
You can install SteamOS on a PC as well, although it may not be worthwhile since you already have a decent working OS and are probably very familiar with it.
And you can install Windows on a Steambox.

Steambox is a way of bringing the simplicity of a console and power of a PC to gamers in a pretty package with a nice game centric OS.

Should have been a companion cube imo

This and the turret comment above it are on the right track. White, cubical, with orange light in either Aperture Science or heart-shaped LEDs on the sides, and it's a win.

This is some sort of wish sandwich ... led in the middle, white on the outside, and I wish it looked better.

geeze some of you are thick, the steam box is not for you its for your idiot friend that cannot operate a PC, also be the death of any consoles in 10 years time when streaming gets all worked out and internet in general is a lot better you will have crappy little boxes with only a shitty cpu for less than $40, it going to be the netflixx of gaming.

Back