Retail eVGA 680i... wtf open box ?

Juic3

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone else had this happen ?

I got a sealed box but as I open the box, all the stuff seems used, the anti static bag seal broken, heck it was on somebody elses case.

If you bought it from Fry's I'm not suprised. Just hope it isn't the one I took back a couple of months ago.

Did you contact their support? Did you buy the cheap version that doesn't come with the extras?

I bought a "new" case from Newegg recently. The box showed no sign of ever having been taped and was only sealed with a 2 inch cardboard tab. It arrived with no side panel or power supply and a birds nest of tangled wires. It took several hours on the phone and with online support to get enough money through 3 different credits to recover the $35 shiping I had to pay for the buy/return. I think thier standards are slipping. It was so generous of them to initially offer a $10 credit to a future order, that didn't even pay my original shipping cost.

I also recently bought a evga 680i MB from zzf, not newegg. The box was sealed with two evga quality assurance round stickers. Everything was all sealed and looked new, until i got to the MB itself. The anti-static bag was crumply looking and the seal was torn open. The board looks clean, with no dust or scratches. However on the bottom side there is this weird white stuff like dried waterspots spread out in waves. I dont know if thats normal or not, its very hard to see and only at an angle. I havent called support yet, but I think I will right now and see whats up.

kk well the water stains are not cool.

its probible that either that was an EVGA, Phenoix, or Newegg quality control sample. They opened it, stressed it, it passed, no sense in throwing a board like that out. back in the static bag, and back to the shelves.

but if the board works, it works!

I think I should clarify on the "waterspots", it does not look like actual water was spread out and then dried out... just the closest thing I can think of to what it looks like in terms of color... (I wish I had taken a picture before i put in in)... It is really faint, and its over the entire backside of the board. Like it was part of some coating or cleaning for the pcb.

I called EVGA up and they said the normal blah blah... and that it was strange that only the static bag with the MB was openned. I asked about the official EVGA seals being intact on the outside and the only response was we don't hand out the seals but somebody could have replaced it. ( I thought the whole point of those was to ensure it is factory sealed and once removed, that it was evident )

Anyways, they assured me that I have the lifetime warrenty, so dont worry. I'm not that worried as of yet... Seems to be running fine as of the moment, only had it up for a few hours so far today. Plan on stressing it to be sure.

Where could they put this one to be in this shape ?

2b7c245f53.jpg

Wow, thats kind of ugly on the bottom there... On my board I have that similar white milky / waterspot stuff, no where to that degree of the picture however.

I am sure evga tests their mobo before packing. ;)
Check to see if the mobo works. If it works properly, then why not use it?
I think you have to pay for postage to send it back.
It's pretty heavy, 9lbs--gonna cost more than $10.

I also recently bought a evga 680i MB from zzf, not newegg. The box was sealed with two evga quality assurance round stickers. Everything was all sealed and looked new, until i got to the MB itself. The anti-static bag was crumply looking and the seal was torn open. The board looks clean, with no dust or scratches. However on the bottom side there is this weird white stuff like dried waterspots spread out in waves. I dont know if thats normal or not, its very hard to see and only at an angle. I havent called support yet, but I think I will right now and see whats up.

Someone milked their dick on your motherboard.

Mine came from newegg also, both Nvidia seals were broken, the motherboard wasn't in an antistatic bag at all, it was in a formed hard plastic clamshell. It didn't appear to be used though, as far as I can tell.

Well guys, don't be too sad. My new EVGA 8800gtx (video card I know, but bear with me) came new, sealed, everything fine, but the EVGA sticker had been slapped on by a 5 year old (mentally perhaps) and partially covers the exhaust vents on top of the heatsink because of it. Although, I think when I was 5 I could've done a better job.

So, you can win or lose either way, open or sealed.

No matter which way you slice it, thats just poor quality control.

You hate to have to send it back and risk getting a board back that just doesnt function
at all.

I would call and see if they can discount a future purchase or something

If you bought it from Fry's I'm not suprised. Just hope it isn't the one I took back a couple of months ago.

I remember once when I was exchanging a mobo to the Fry's in San Jose Ca (Aztec Temple one) they asked me to open the new mobo box I got from the shelf. I declined and was not able to leave till they checked the new box. And it took them a while to find scissors and open the new exchange box I got from their shelf.

No matter which way you slice it, thats just poor quality control.

You hate to have to send it back and risk getting a board back that just doesnt function
at all.

I would call and see if they can discount a future purchase or something

Why would Newegg give discount? They sent him a sealed box, no problem with Newegg.
It is problem with EVGA.

I had the same problem with newegg. The EVGA 680i board was DOA. Had to eat the shipping. Went with commando after that.

hehe, we've got one guy milking dicks and another going commando..... have i logged onto a swinging site by accident?

Back