• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Results from 500$ AMD build.

nimbyfaygo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 18, 2006
Messages
488
I've just recently put together my little media center pc. To note I went with a mini itx build, it would have been cheaper to go with micro atx instead.

It consists of an ASUS M4A88T-I deluxe Mini itx.
AMD X2 250.
4GB mushkin DDR3 1066
Sparkle GT 430.
Seagate 500gb sata drive.
Apevia ITX-AP250W
HP slimline S3100 not working.(21$ including shipping, with Vista home premium)
No monitor, connected to TV

After building the computer and getting the OS reinstalled, I started to install drivers and software. I noticed that the computer was pretty snappy and responsive.

So I move it over to my desk and switch the keyboard and monitor from my Classified SR-2. I start browsing and doing my daily office work on it. And to be completely honest, I really can't see a difference between it and the big system. It handles 1080p playback, light gaming and all sorts of daily tasks without a sweat.
I don't have specific benchmarks, however it does play Starcraft 2 @ 1080p on medium settings with around 40fps. It will also handle Dragon-age Origins and World of Warcraft with similar settings.

So to sum it up, it handles office usage, movies, and light gaming nearly as well as a system that costs 5x more, with 8x more cores. The fact that it is near silent and pulls less than 80 watt is just icing on the cake.
 
Last edited:
You should replace the power supply as soon as possible. Apevia PSUs are crap, to put it kindly.

And what do you mean by "HP slimline S3100 not working"? Are you using the case for the mITX build?
 
You should replace the power supply as soon as possible. Apevia PSUs are crap, to put it kindly.

And what do you mean by "HP slimline S3100 not working"? Are you using the case for the mITX build?

Ya using the HP case for the build.

Would you kindly provide me with a link to another comparable PSU? I'm already worried about the apivia and I want to return it when I still can. There aren't many manufactures that make the flex atx size. For example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104073 fromFSP group is the only brand that I recognize that is in the power and price range I want.
 
Back
Top