Restoring performance to SSD

tnt3k

2[H]4U
Hey [H] is there a way to restore performance to a 64GB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 2.5" G2 Series Solid State Drive (SSD) With SandForce 1222 Controller. If i update to newest A-Data firmware will performance be restored?

Architecture Multi-Level Cell (MLC) NAND Flash Memory (Intel 29F32G08AAMDBX16)
Capacity 64GB
Controller SandForce SF-1222 processor
Read Speed Up to 280MBps
Write Speed Up to 270MBps

I'm just wondering why i'm not getting anywhere close to those read/write speeds. on my vertex 1 series, i'm getting still close to advertised speeds.

I bought this less than a year ago ~6 months: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0351760

Performance now:
rxNs7.jpg

What system is it in, what OS, did you align the partitions, are you running TRIM?

I don't have a SSD, but these are the things to be aware of when installing one.

What system is it in, what OS, did you align the partitions, are you running TRIM?

I don't have a SSD, but these are the things to be aware of when installing one.

This is running on my gf's laptop: windows 7 ultimate x64. no idea what aligning partitions is, i'm still kinda fuzzy on how TRIM works but i thought it was automatic

Also has to do with the laptops sata controller.

A secure erase and reinstall of OS will get you like new performance.

Trim is defaulted when SSD is detected.
Windows7 aligns the sectors by default, XP does not. Acronis enterprise does not but a win7 backup image will.

If you installed windows 7 on the ssd, it should have automatically aligned.

run msinfo32 by typing it into the search box on your start menu and hitting enter.
click on: components => storage => disks
Look for your SSD and check the partition starting offset.
It needs to be divisible by 4096 (ie return a whole number when you divide by this) otherwise the alignment is not correct.

One thing that I can think of is that crystaldiskmark itself can report inaccurately.

Sandforce 1222 compresses data as it writes and uncompresses as it reads.

If your data isn't very compressible, it will appear slower.

Maybe last time you ran crystaldiskmark, you had it set up different(or an update to the program changed the way it functions).

It's also unnecessary to benchmark at 5x1000MB setting.

Let the system idle at locked screen & test it again at a lower MB setting.

It does appear that they at least added new options to CDM. Not sure what it defaulted to before, but if you go to File/Test Data, you can change to 0 fill and 1 fill(both should be more compressible).

Writing 5 GB to a drive, specially when you only have 4GB free, can wreak hell on garbage collection. Like Disrupter said, let it idle so it can try to do some GC and clean up a bit. More free space could help as well.

(I'm not sure if locked is good enough. BIOS or some other "on" mode that isn't running windows services might be better. At least try to do a full sign off. Don't quote me on this, haven't tested much.)

Writing 5 GB to a drive, specially when you only have 4GB free, can wreak hell on garbage collection. Like Disrupter said, let it idle so it can try to do some GC and clean up a bit. More free space could help as well.

my god.. .i didn't even realize.. i told her to download the program and run it. Thx i'll try to reformat and try again.

If I'm not too late, it does appear that the settings in CDM do have an effect on speeds.

I did a couple tests...for science...you monster.

If I use compressable data (0 or 1 fill) I hit the numbers they claim.
zuFpR.jpg

Here is the default setting of random data, close to yours.
Y0zv0.jpg

This is on a fresh install of win 7 pro x64 with a sandforce 1222 controller (adata 599 i believe).

If I'm not too late, it does appear that the settings in CDM do have an effect on speeds.

I did a couple tests...for science...you monster.

If I use compressable data (0 or 1 fill) I hit the numbers they claim.

Here is the default setting of random data, close to yours.

This is on a fresh install of win 7 pro x64 with a sandforce 1222 controller (adata 599 i believe).

I'll use my desktop to erase and then install new firmware. Thanks a lot guys!

Hah, sorry. CDM = Crystaldiskmark,

Like I said earlier, if you go under File/Test Data you can pick a more compressible data type to reach the speeds they claim.

I don't think those speeds are reachable with incompressible data.

Back