Restoring OUtlook via *.PST

dwayne001

Limp Gawd
Any of you know how to (1) get outlook (2003) to restore all your mail and stuff via an older *.PST file and (2) Get outlook to use that PST file on a drive other than C?

Thannks-- my problem is that I tried that and nothing. There's 2.01gb of PST file that has countless messages in it and Outlook's not adding them to the personal folders column. I go through the motions and then, i click OK and everything is as it was when outlok was new-- i don't see any of my old data.

open the pst and copy the message across? File - Open - Outlook Data File. It will then show up in the 'All Mail Folders' pane with a new tree. You can drag & drop as needed.

2 gb sounds like a really big pst though - it might have become corrupt somewhere along the way.

I tried opening the Outlook Data file and nothing happened. It showed the pane where the mail usially is but there was no mail in it.

And as for corruption-- it's something like 6 years of email, that's why it's so big. I backed it up twice--i have a feeling both copies couldnt be corrupted.

Thing is that outlook doesnt even seem to acknowledge it-- I say, OK, import with sub directories and the machine givs me a little disk activity (1/2 ofa second's worht) and then it's like i never did anything.

do I 1-- have to add the accounts first and then try and import the PST file? or do i open outlook immediately after installing it and tell it to go and import this data?

Open Outlook

File / Import

eventually you get to an area - choose "import into current folder" instead of it making a new personl folders file.

look for a file called "scanpst.exe" - it can scan and fix your PST file if corrupted - Outlook has no problems with a 2g PST file - i deal with some 5g' files daily @ my work.

You can import the file with no accounts - outlook is SLOWWWWWWWWW when starting to import - it is best to hit import and walk away from the PC - dont do anything else.

once thas done - close outlook

control panel / Mail / Email Accounts / View or change existing account

then you will see it says

"deliver messages to new outlook file - create a new file and save it where you like.

OK, so i tried it the MrGuvernment way where i import things into current folder and I got the same deal. It didn't do anything. I get half a moment of hourglass and get all excited about the big import and then the pointer comes back and nothing.....

Now i'm looking for scanpst.exe online to scan these things. I hava spare 6gb partition that i can put the file on and continuallt scandsk and scanpst on. I'll update you as soon as that's done.

your PST file is too big. anything over 2gig will corrupt as yours has.

you can truncate it with this

but you will either need to split it into 2 files or do some serious archiving.

i truncated the file to 1.99gb and still, nothing imports. It gives me that dumb message about 'welcme to outlook 2003.'

I truncated, ran scanpst and attempted to import into the folder like MrGuvernment said. Still, all i get is that damned message.

What kind of program can't import the 2gb file? MrGuvernment says he pulled it off and unless he works at the most hardware driven office site in the world, i don't see how their computers should be able to handle the transfer any more than the main rig in my sig below.

I'll try removing 25gb like the MS site suggests.

I've done everything by the book it seems. Any out of the book suggestions?

And if 2+gb isa problem why do the programmers of outlook allow the files to grow so large? They should split after 1.75 or something. These people make no sense.

dwayne001 said:
I tried opening the Outlook Data file and nothing happened. It showed the pane where the mail usially is but there was no mail in it.

And as for corruption-- it's something like 6 years of email, that's why it's so big. I backed it up twice--i have a feeling both copies couldnt be corrupted.

Thing is that outlook doesnt even seem to acknowledge it-- I say, OK, import with sub directories and the machine givs me a little disk activity (1/2 ofa second's worht) and then it's like i never did anything.

do I 1-- have to add the accounts first and then try and import the PST file? or do i open outlook immediately after installing it and tell it to go and import this data?

Opening the file won't automatically show the mail. It will add another tree that you then have to open, then drag'n'drop to your new mail folders.

Once you open the .pst on the left you will have 'favorite folders' (ignore it) below that will be 'All Mail Folders' with a Mailbox - [Name} at the top. Click the minus to the side of it, and you should see another folder directly below it. Click the + to expand this and you should be able to find all your emails in the right folders.

Yah, openinn the file gave me another tree but it was empty save the welcome to outlook message-- SO ANNOYING> I'm so peeved. I went through the whole truncation, scan, import process and it STILL gave me only the welcome to outlook message. waht;s the haps? the scan PST program reads something like 19 folders-- it's part of outlook-- why can't outlook see these folders?

Why am i cursed?

do you mean it hangs on the "welcome to outlook screen". if so, let it run. even if it takes an hour.

if not, forget about the import. for now... instead, go into file --> data file management and get the path and filename of your primary pst file. probably something like \docs & settings\%user%\local settings\app data\ms\outlook\outlook.pst

rename that file, and put your big one in place of it. fire up outlook again, hit "no" if it prompts for safe mode, and if it hangs starting up, just let it go. don't kill the process. see what happens...

Back