Restoring desktop and apps after system shutdowns (Linux & Windows)

I just suffered my last straw with Windows rebooting w/o notice after an update install:mad:. I edited the reg to make sure that doesn't happen again. The thing is that I had just typed up a very long detailed post about a problem that needs fixing and a few secnds before I was going to post, bam, reboot. After running Linux for 18 months straight (no OS re-installs - which MS would have had like 3-4 by now the way I use it) I have never suffered something like this and one of the cool things is that most of the apps I had open before, pop back up if I do a restart or if I have to do a hard power-off b/c of a freeze or something (didn't say Linux was perfect though did I - I run A LOT of software so I understand the hangups).

My biggest pet pieve is when I do an extensive internet search of like 20-80 tabs open, all linked to a specific research catagory, which I then bookmark for later reference. I use Firefox BTW.

On a Windows reboot, all is lost when this happens. If my Linux machine hangs, I get all the tabs that were open within the last 60 seconds or so (if I close or open some, they may be lost). This is running Firefox as well.

On another note, that I think some people may find very helpful without installing some plugin that keeps track of browser sessions (this plugin crashed my Win 7 machine almost everyday when I used it).

If you ever need to close the browser because of a memory leak, security issue, very slow response time, HUGE plugin containers linked to flash (I've seen 8-16Gb flash files with NO video ever loaded!!!) or you need to reboot (rebooting is only for Linux) then you can preserver all your brtowser windows and tabs by killing the task either in Windows task manager or however you do it in your flavor of linux (kill process).

When you return and reload FF, you will get the option of restoring the windows and tabs.

This works well after using FF for like 1/2 a day or so. Close it with the kill process procedure, then reopen and you will free up all the ram that is being hogged by the pages that you probably are done with and the browser will be very fast again.

Back