Restoring an MS Outlook configuration

WeZona

Weaksauce
I've been working on a client's computer for the last few days, trying to restore it to it's original configuration after a hard drive crash / data recovery / windows reinstall. Everything looks alright, except for his email account in Outlook Express. I wasn't able to back up his account before the crash, so all I have now is the data that was left on the old windows install. He was insistent that I save his email above all else, so I'm looking for ways to get both his outlook configuration back and save his emails.

Does Outlook automatically back up it's settings somewhere on the hard drive, and if so is there a way for me to restore it? I'm kind of at wits end here, and I'd appreciate any help.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 1150 running Windows XP Home.

as far as i know, OE settings are stored in windows registry, but you can retrieve all emails from \Documents and Settings\user account\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{random number goes here}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Then just create a new account and import messages, actually its very simple

Thanks, you're a lifesaver.

Another question: Is the mail server information logged anywhere on the machine? If it is, I can set up the email account before giving the computer back to the client.

Back