restore point....wow it worked

sparks

2[H]4U
My buddy lost about half his files on his D: drive over the weekend. So without messing with anything he grabs up a fee undelete program. What was weird most of the files could not be un deleted because they were overwritten by a system restore file. WTF
So then I find out he has it set to do this every 5 days.
I just said hell try it and see what happens.
He restored from last friday...His files on D are now back.
But there is one problem.
Things like forte agent. He lost all his email, and saved attachments and his locked stuff in the program. If it restored the directories and everything was reset to last friday where is the data for the files that was restored?
PS when he went into agent it did not have anything defined but all his settings like news and email were intact so all he had to do was tell it to use this info and it was back up and running but again no saved things he had done.

anyone got any ideas....(ME I am just amazed that a restore got files from last week. I thought all it did was system files)
================================
talking to him on the phone while he does this so more info.
His programs were installed on d:\program files not on his c os drive.

Save those files then go back to the restore point closet to now so he'll have the files he lost and be back to the systems state as it stood when a restore was last created, that should get him back.

As always, get some kind of backup system in place for important data.

I am just amazed that a restore got files from last week. I thought all it did was system files

The Volume Shadow Copy service is responsible for System Restore in Vista/7 and it makes shadow copies of everything (this allows it to also do Previous Versions). XP's System Restore is system files only. This is why Vista/7 need a lot more space for System Restore.

this was XP that he is using and it fixed his d drive.
What he lost was the idx and dat files in some of his program directories.
SO it does a lot more than I thought but sill he lost all of his email and marked messages but the ini files were still there so some of the files are backed up and some aren't.

My buddy lost about half his files on his D: drive over the weekend. So without messing with anything he grabs up a fee undelete program. What was weird most of the files could not be un deleted because they were overwritten by a system restore file. WTF
So then I find out he has it set to do this every 5 days.
I just said hell try it and see what happens.
He restored from last friday...His files on D are now back.
But there is one problem.
Things like forte agent. He lost all his email, and saved attachments and his locked stuff in the program. If it restored the directories and everything was reset to last friday where is the data for the files that was restored?
PS when he went into agent it did not have anything defined but all his settings like news and email were intact so all he had to do was tell it to use this info and it was back up and running but again no saved things he had done.

anyone got any ideas....(ME I am just amazed that a restore got files from last week. I thought all it did was system files)
================================
talking to him on the phone while he does this so more info.
His programs were installed on d:\program files not on his c os drive.

LOL yes sometimes restore point works.

thats why they made it :p

I've done restore points that erase files. It's not supposed to do that but I guess sometimes you need to make sacrifices.

Back