Restarting without a mouse

icehokplyr

Limp Gawd
I used to know how to shut down and restart the machine without using a mouse and by using some keys on the keyboard. Can anyone refresh my memory please?

ctrl-alt-del

hit it twice.
Or once then hit alt, arrow over to shutdown and arrow down the list to choose the shutdown method.

Excavator said:
ctrl-alt-del

hit it twice.
Or once then hit alt, arrow over to shutdown and arrow down the list to choose the shutdown method.

well the ctrl-alt-del trick will work in Win98.. won't work in XP and other NTs..
press ctrl+esc or the windows key to access the start menu.. navigate with arrow keys to shutdown menu.. from here there's a letter key assigned to every action (shudown, restart, logout). It will be prolly R for restart.. I'm not sure tho, since I'm using Polish version of XP..

alt+F4 brings up the shutdown menu, then you just use the arrow key to select what you want.

Remember, to chose the option, you don't have to tab. Just type the first letter... IE "Shut Down" = S, and "Restart" = R, and so on. I'm sure you guys knew that, but i didn't see it listed.

ya for a long time i didn't use a mouse. just for the he!! of it lol.

defakto said:
or
windows key
press u
select option
That was cool, didn't know about the "U". :)

apHytHiaTe said:
Remember, to chose the option, you don't have to tab. Just type the first letter... IE "Shut Down" = S, and "Restart" = R, and so on. I'm sure you guys knew that, but i didn't see it listed.
I knew that for Windows Icons, never applied it to the shutdown menu though, cool.

Windows, U, R = Restart, sweet, thats almost as quick as using the mouse.

If you press the power button many systems will go throught the shutdown process automatically.

Puterguru said:
Windows Key
Arrow Up
Enter
Tab
Tab
Enter

This was the one that I remember using before. Thanks to all. You were all very helpful and I wish you all a Merry Christmas.

from TheMostWantedPolishTwin:
well the ctrl-alt-del trick will work in Win98.. won't work in XP and other NTs..

Works fine on this XP Pro machine. Also my wifes machine and my lappy, both also XP Pro.

Shit, i think i was wrong about whatever I said. Well, i doubt many of you have used a computer without a monitor :)

using a computer without a monitor can be a pain...especially for games.

Back