• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Responsive time influence : IPS vs 3D

maxxx88

n00b
Joined
Aug 24, 2011
Messages
19
I have 2 questions for you :




FIRST QUESTION :

The better quality of IPS panel monitors than TN is undoubted, but the resposive time of a fast IPS like U2410 or Asus PA246Q against a fast TN panel ( not necessarily a 120Hz monitor ) how does it occur?

In the TN the game will run more smooth ( without stuttering, microstuttering, tearing or other effect ) or than the IPS monitors or not ?

For Example : 30fps of Black Ops, if i run it in a 3D monitor like Alienware aw2310 will be smoother than Dell U2410 ? :confused:



SECOND QUESTION :

I usually use only one VGA card in my PC ( not multi GPu SLI or Crossfire ), for example now i have a GTX 570 by Nvidia , do you raccomended a 3D monitor ( alienware AW2310 ) or not ?

i'm not sure to exploit fully it, but is not better to have a medium but stable frame rate instead off an highter but not stable ( playing without vsynch ) ?
 
1) Stuttering have nothing to do with the monitor, only tearing. With 30fps you are not going to see any difference between 120hz or 60hz. The TN will have faster response rate but the overdrive on U2311H is pretty good.

2) You are not going to have over 60fps when using 3D vision. And yes it's very unlikely that you can get 120fps with vsync in modern games.
 
V-sync invariably introduces input lag, but it fixes screen tearing.

However, with a 120Hz running in 2D, you can leave v-sync off and since you will rarely, if ever, go above 120fps, be free of screen tearing.
 
i'm not interested to 3D, only 120fps.

All you are telling me that playing whit a slow responsive time monitor is same smooth to play with a faster monitor ?

I thinked that ghosting or trailing appears as a less fluid movements when i move the mouse as if i had less frames in the slower ips than the faster TN, is not true ?
 
I'm not sure I'm following you but yeah, even though the latest IPS monitors are getting there, TN are still faster.

There are no 120Hz IPS monitors. So if that's what you want, TN is your only option.

My opinion is that, for gaming, you definitely should go with a 120Hz, but others prefer IPS panels and higher resolutions.

For what it's worth, I just bought the Samsung S27A950D which is a 27" 1080p@120Hz and I highly recommend it.
 
V-sync invariably introduces input lag, but it fixes screen tearing.

However, with a 120Hz running in 2D, you can leave v-sync off and since you will rarely, if ever, go above 120fps, be free of screen tearing.

You get screen tearing from mismatching frame rates between the game and monitor, so you'll still get tearing when the fps is lower than your monitor's max refresh rate.
 
You get screen tearing from mismatching frame rates between the game and monitor, so you'll still get tearing when the fps is lower than your monitor's max refresh rate.

No.

Screen tearing happens when the screen can't handle what it receives.
 
No.

Screen tearing happens when the screen can't handle what it receives.

Interesting. I get screen tearing when I set LOTRO to 20FPS on my IPS LCD. I'm pretty sure my IPS gets more than 25fps. Maybe there's some other problem but I could have sworn even my older monitors used to do this. It was more noticeble at higher framerates but still happened. I'm using two 6950's in crossfire with an NEC EA231WMI monitor by the by.
 
Interesting. I get screen tearing when I set LOTRO to 20FPS on my IPS LCD. I'm pretty sure my IPS gets more than 25fps. Maybe there's some other problem but I could have sworn even my older monitors used to do this. It was more noticeble at higher framerates but still happened. I'm using two 6950's in crossfire with an NEC EA231WMI monitor by the by.

is it tearing? or is it ghosting/blur from the input lag and response time?

It could also just be a glitchy game. Battlefield BC2 used to tear for me around the menus in the exact same place constantly a few patches ago. It wasn't regular tearing... it was like a bad picture syncing issue, because it left this odd line one third from the bottom of my screen where the gun selection menu normally is, that looked like a tear.
 
Back
Top