Response to No HL2 Until Summer

No HL2 Until Summer:

While no real concrete date has been set, Valve has now publicly stated “Summer” as a target release date. Valve will be showing the game again at E3 this year, so you can bet it won’t be on the store shelves any time before that ( May 2004 ). If this news pisses you off, blame the scumbags that snaked the source code.

As much as this might be part of the problem, I whole-heartedly feel that it is in fact valve that is to blame in this case. How many times BEFORE the source code was stolen was HL2 delayed? Additonally, nothing like this ever happened with Condition Zero, and yet, years after it was supposed to be released, it's still not anywhere close to being on store shelves.

Granted that having the source stolen is annoying, but was it really that big of a problem? This happened to the doom 3 alpha (sort of), and ID never had a heart attack and made a big deal out of it, to the point where they used to to push back release dates. Someone please enlighten me!

Again, what would have to be changed after the code was taken? And why exactly would it take almost an additional 10+ months to resolve? Personally, I think that it's going to be much longer than 10 months before we see anything resembling a game.

I think that whether the code was stolen or not, the game was not going to be ready last sept, and I think that this was just another excuse for valve to delay yet another piece of vaporware.

The stolen source code is a transparent excuse. It's not like stealing a car - Valve still has the code. I can imagine they might want to rework some parts if they think the stolen code will help online cheating, but 10 months or whatever is almost like they're rewriting the whole thing.

My opinion is that it's way way too early to judge Valve. If they delay a game, fine....but when the game is out, it better damn well be close to bug free and be one great game with a lot of playability. If a company delays a game, then releases something reembling a beta that doesn't offer much, then crucify them. There are enough great games out now to hold us over for a little while longer. But, at the same time, if a game is delayed and delayed, it better come out damn near perfect.

with all the hype and waiting/delays ...somebody prolly gonna claim jeehahd on valve headquarters if game turns out to be a dud

..and no, I dont know how to spell ..thanks:)

Back