Resolving circular dependancies?

DJFinch

n00b
When I try to install an RPM (in fedora) it checks the dependancies and says that in order to install the package it must have that package already installed...what do I do?

No other dependancies are comming up.

I'm trying to install mplayer from the common rpm

Ah, the wonders of rpm...

Try the --force option, or if that doesn't work, the --nodeps option.

I would suggest getting Open Carpet and getting your software from there. You can handle dependencies easier, installation is easier, and it uses the same repositories as apt and yum.

Think of it as something like Lindows' CnR software, but open, dependable, and effective.

OK. did the nodeps option, and it seems to have worked, but now I cant find it anywhere, if I try to do it again with the nodeps option it says it already there, but if I do it normal it fails the dependancy again....

forgive the noobiness....slowing waiding into linux.

Originally posted by DJFinch
OK. did the nodeps option, and it seems to have worked, but now I cant find it anywhere, if I try to do it again with the nodeps option it says it already there, but if I do it normal it fails the dependancy again....

forgive the noobiness....slowing waiding into linux.
This is something that even old hands run into sometimes. RPMs, on their own, suck cheese.

Which package is it?

it was mplayer

I gave up and put on xine. ran into similar (the library rpm is named something different from what is in the interface's header...good move on their part) problems, but running with nodeps cleared up the issue and its running well.

Is it just better to get tar.gz's and just compile it on your own and skip the rpm?

the only harder part about source files is the time it takes to compile them.

If you're looking for easier, why not go with Open Carpet? If you are of the school of thought where "harder == better," then always use source and compile on your own.

Back