Resident Evil 7 To Be First Major Third Party Xbox Play Anywhere Title

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
If you decide to buy Resident Evil 7 for Xbox One, you’ll be getting a free copy of it for the PC, and vice versa. Now for the bad news: that version would be tethered to the Windows Store, and secondly, the VR version of the game is a timed-exclusive for the PlayStation 4. Will you be getting the game when it launches next week?

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard will be a Play Anywhere title, Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed. The Play Anywhere scheme means users who purchase a game on Xbox One given a free copy of it on the Windows 10 Store, and vice versa. All first-party Microsoft games released on both platforms will be Play Anywhere titles moving forward, but Resident Evil 7 is the first triple-A, third-party game to get onboard the scheme. Adding to our habitual smugness, we called this back when it was first revealed that Resident Evil 7 has cross-save on PC and Xbox One.

not sure I'll get it, but I'm thinking of getting an x-box scorpio when it eventually comes out and if it is worth it. Kinda over the whole resident evil thing, and while it might be different in the final game I'm not a huge fan of those "puzzles" where you do what seems logical only to get a game over screen.

I'll wait until the PC VR is available and then get it on Oculus/Steam. I need a good horror game on my Rift. The ones available so far are mostly of the indie sort. I'd like a little more production value to drive my fear shitting.

I got it on Steam via CDKeys, so it was only like $35. If I really enjoy it, I'm planning on buying the PS4/PSVR version as well. Based on the demo, I feel this could be the first killer app for the PSVR.

"that version would be tethered to the Windows Store"
"Will you be getting the game when it launches next week?"

Nope.

It is a nice bonus. I am not big in to straight up horror games, so I don't think a free Xbox One copy is going to sway me. Though I hope to see more of this in the future.

typical false pretense marketing, no in game footage, nothing to make an informed buying decision with.

typical false pretense marketing, no in game footage, nothing to make an informed buying decision with.

Other than the demo which has been available for a while now...
Gives you a sample of the gameplay, atmosphere, and everything else you need to test it before you buy it.

Other than the demo which has been available for a while now...
Gives you a sample of the gameplay, atmosphere, and everything else you need to test it before you buy it.
Haha we all know demo's don't count!!

I'm glad to see Microsoft do this, even if it's tied to the Microsoft store getting a free pc copy to play on my laptop when I travel for work is a huge bonus.

Steam for this one, keys can be had for ~$35-$45 at the moment.

The $60 UWP-gimped version in the windows store doesn't support fullscreen exclusive mode like all UWP games, but at least it gives you the Xbox copy.

Last edited:

Like others pointed out there has been a demo of the game for some time. You could have played that or watched any of the multiple videos of people playing the demo. By now since it leaked early, pretty sure you can find the entire game being played somewhere. I already watched the ending of the game myself this week so I know what the last 10 - 15 minutes of the game is like. Thought the boss looked "odd" and out of place, other than that everything looked just like it did in any demo play through I seen.

The $60 UWP-gimped version in the windows store doesn't support fullscreen exclusive mode like all UWP games

Ok, which means what exactly? What impact is the on game play? Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3 are gimped how exactly?

Ok, which means what exactly? What impact is the on game play? Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3 are gimped how exactly?

I think they dropped the ball with the first few games they released on UWP but fixed a great deal of the issues with newer games. Playing GoW4 was butter smooth. My only grip was the 80gb download @.@.

Dog jumps through window, heart stops.

You'll probably want to do a non vr playthrough first.
Ive watched people play some horror games in VR (I think it was called Emily wants to play) and it looks terrifying lol. I've seen peoples leg's just give out from fright while playing that game and its just a silly jump scare game

Back