Resident Evil 4 or Shadow of the Colossus?

Its loaded up. Anymore opinions?

I do look forward to widescreen, progressive scan goodness.

Aye. Both are incredible games, but SotC has less gameplay. Getting to RE4 afterward will help satiate your need for more game.

i was faced with this decision. i purchased resident evil 4 because of all the great reviews from the GC and PS2 version. the ps2 version has more content i think than the GC version.

i also just bought sly cooper 3 but that is of no consequence :p havent had a chance to play it.

Shadow of the Colossus. RE4, no matter how good or how much more content it may have than Shadow, is old hat. The gameplay is familiar and can be found in any number of games out there. Shadow of the Colossus is a one of a kind.

Well after playing both for about 45 min a piece, SotC is more impressive to me. I am having a hard time adjusting to the controls for RE4. It was still fun though, just have to give it more time.

I just beat the first Colossus...

HOLY CRAP!

That was awesome!

I spent 15 minutes scoping out the second one, just watching it and planning my attack. :D

I'm not aware of any game on the market that plays anything like RE4 and i don't think it's "old hat" at all either in both gameplay and graphics. I play quite a few games and up to today i don't think anything tops it. It's one of the very best games i've ever played. BTW, have you got the Gamecube verion or the ported PS2 version? The GC one doesn't have some extras but it's so much better overall.

I just finished Shadow of the Colossus too and i think the boss fights are awesome. It reminded me of God of War in some way.

Im playing RE4(GC) for the 2nd time & SotC. I like booth but SotC has major frame rate and camera issues. SotC is very straight forward.Kill 12 colossus. There is something about the game that definetly captivates you while playing. The scenery reminds me of really cool wallpapers from a fantasy nerd web page. While an enjoyable experience I dont see myself going back to play it again once I finish. Resident Evil 4 is much more rounded experience and I believe a longer one. I beat the GC version earlier this year, but with the PS2 version out with its extra content I couldn't wait to play RE4 all over again. Sadly the PS2 ver. doesn't quite compare to the GC ver. the graphics are degraded and most of the sound samples like the enemy voices are quite crappy. So I decided to re-play the GC ver. instead & use codebreaker for the PS2 ver. to unlock the extra content like the Ada missions. Anyway...I'd suggest alternating between the 2, thats what I do in order to keep game play fresh.

SOTC didn't really capture my attention. RE4 is one of the best console games I've ever played...

sodaz said:
I'm not aware of any game on the market that plays anything like RE4 and i don't think it's "old hat" at all either in both gameplay and graphics. I play quite a few games and up to today i don't think anything tops it.

I've played RE4 a bit on the Gamecube, and I don't mean to imply in any way that the game isn't good. When I say "old hat" I mean that in the same way that Half Life 2 and FEAR are "old hat." It doesn't mean they're not good. It just means that they're familiar and you can find other games with similar gameplay.

I've never seen a game with gameplay like that found in Shadow of the Colossus. It's possible that game is out there, but I've yet to see it.

how long is shadow? I just got a ps2 and i loved the demo of that game, but it seems like it would be really short.

Oh and i recommend playing shadow first if it is short, so you can blow through it and play RE4 for a while. RE4 is the sole reason i bought a gamecube back when it came out, and wow it is a freakin amazing game.

JonnyK said:
how long is shadow? I just got a ps2 and i loved the demo of that game, but it seems like it would be really short.

I've got three Colossi to go at this point, and I believe that I've gotten about seven and a half hours of gameplay out of it. A friend of mine has beaten it, and he said the last couple of Colossi took him nearly two hours each. That said, I'd predict approximately ten hours of gameplay, give or take. In addition, beating the game opens up a couple of new modes, hard and time attack.

But forget about how long the game is. Ten hours may seem short, but I don't know if I've ever been as satisfied with a game like I have with Shadow. It's truly remarkable.

I just beat number 9 at about six hours.

This game is awesome. I find myself getting emotional during the battles, angered, puzzled, relieved. etc.

I haven't gotten this into a game since HL2 almost a year ago.

A huge point to make is:

DO NOT use a guide to beat this game!

As it kills half the purpose of playing the game.

silasbear said:
DO NOT use a guide to beat this game!

Good call. While this game may look like a third person action game it's really a puzzle game. It's not usually a big deal to find the Colossus, though it can be, but each time you find a Colossus you need to figure out how to climb it and where it's vulnerable. Each Colossus is different, so you have to develop a new strategy to combat each one. Using a game guide would pretty much ruin the gameplay experience.

Back