resetting xp network settings to default?

chumps

n00b
hi,

i'm pretty familiar with xp but up until recently i haven't had to deal with its network settings. (being previously spoiled by relatively pain-free static-ip network)

now that i'm on a dhcp connect, i'm having trouble with my router. or more specifically my windows network settings when (and only when) i'm connected to my router.

i have 2 comps on the router. my friend's works, mine doesnt. if i connect the cable modem directly to my computer it works. if i'm connected to the router it doesnt, and i also get this extra thing in my 'network connections':

under the heading 'internet gateway' - internet connection (residential gateway) (disabled)

previously i was having trouble with the cable modem and ran through the wizards a lot a times. i'm pretty sure at one point i selected the 'connects through residential gateway' option, which was wrong. but now i can't seem to undo that.

how to just start off clean?

reinstalling nic doesnt help. uninstalling the protocols/services in my lan properties doesn't help. it will only go away if i uncheck tcp/ip. but if i re-check it it comes back.

also if i load up ie and try to connect to a site it says 'detecting proxy settings'... then nothing.

would appreciate any help!

chumps said:
h

under the heading 'internet gateway' - internet connection (residential gateway) (disabled)

You probably have UPnP enabled on your router, and XP's autodiscovery picked it up. If you have it disabled...then correct, your computer will not use the router. So "Enable" that connection.

What IP address does your computer get when you're connected to the router? If you have a 169.254.xxx.xxx address...then there is a problem. If you get a private IP range, such as 192.168.XXX.XXX, then your connection is probably fine, there's another issue.

Back