Resetting Cisco router with confreg 0x2142 not working

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
Hey everyone, cisco noob trouble here.

I am trying to reset the configuration of a 2650xm router I got on ebay. I am following the password recovery instruction from CISCO but it is not working.

I am doing the break sequence to get into rommon then doing the confreg 0x2142 and reset commands.

However, when it restarts it is not bypassing the startup config like it should. What could cause? I am stumped.......

any help would be highly appreciated.

this is my output:

Password: ü
System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r) [cmong 8r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.
C2600 platform with 131072 Kbytes of main memory

monitor: command "boot" aborted due to user interrupt
rommon 1 > confreg 0x2142

You must reset or power cycle for new config to take effect
rommon 2 > reset

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x9d57b0
Self decompressing the image : ######################################################### ######################################################################################## ############################################## [OK]

Smart Init is enabled
smart init is sizing iomem
ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE
00036E 0X000BA600 C2650XM Single Fast Ethernet
0X000F3BB0 public buffer pools
0X00211000 public particle pools
TOTAL: 0X003BF1B0

If any of the above Memory Requirements are
"UNKNOWN", you may be using an unsupported
configuration or there is a software problem and
system operation may be compromised.
Rounded IOMEM up to: 4Mb.
Using 3 percent iomem. [4Mb/128Mb]

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
170 West Tasman Drive
San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IS-M), Version 12.2(29), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 11-May-05 17:27 by kellmill
Image text-base: 0x8000808C, data-base: 0x8111B348

cisco 2650XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x200) with 126976K/4096K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID JAE080411WW (742437874)
M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
1 Serial network interface(s)
32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
49152K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

class VIDEO-** bandwidth percent 35
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

service-module t1 clock source internal
^

10.79.64.80 0.0.0.1
^

ost 144.226.

community mnsreadonly RO 66

snmp-server enable traps isdn call-information
^

Press RETURN to get started!

00:00:08: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to up
00:00:08: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0/0, changed state to down
*Mar 1 00:00:09: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/0, chang ed state to down
*Mar 1 00:00:09: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/0, changed sta te to down
*Mar 1 00:00:12: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console
*Mar 1 00:00:14: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
*Mar 1 00:00:14: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host RTNCCARDR01 is undergoing a cold start

UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS PROHIBITED
Access to this system and associated network, computer
resource, or data is restricted to those authorized by
the company. This system and related networks, resources
or data may only be used for business purposes of the
company and its customers. Use by unauthorized individuals
or for an unauthorized purpose is a violation of Federal
and/or State law. Violators will be prosecuted.
Device is supported by MDS

RTNCCARDR01 line 0

User Access Verification

Password:

Last edited:
Looks to me like you didnt do all the steps required to reset. just setting the confreg wont do.

Not got the link handy at the moment but you will have to rename the config saved on the flash for it to work. You could also always just do a write erase....

Do a search on the cisco site for password reovery it has it listed step by step.

^^^

Setting the confreg just tells the router to not load the startup-config from NVRAM, hence he shouldn't have to enter a password. Once he gets into configuration mode, he's supposed set the confreg back to 2102, and then go back into privileged mode/enabled mode and copy start run and then sh run to see the password(or he could just change it), or if he doesn't care about the configurations of the interfaces or routing information, copy run start. But his problem, as he said, is that it's loading the startup-config anyway, which is why he's still getting the password prompt.

From his post, it looks to me like he did everything the right way. Even after looking over some of my own notes and checking online, I'm still not sure what he did wrong. That's always the way I've done it. *shrug*

Last edited:
Since the no password recovery service is disabled, either your terminal is not working correctly or you have bad NVRAM. Back in my heyday I had a similar issue with a sup720.. it would always first boot into rommon even though I set it to 0x2102. It liked to stick on 0x0. RMA'd.

Though, if i were you, i'd just find a new nvram chip online (or return it).

Since the no password recovery service is disabled, either your terminal is not working correctly or you have bad NVRAM. Back in my heyday I had a similar issue with a sup720.. it would always first boot into rommon even though I set it to 0x2102. It liked to stick on 0x0. RMA'd.

Yeah, I have been posting over at techexams and it turns out I have bad NVRAM. i finally got it to work by answering the questions and doing a write erase.

Now if i try to copy running-config startup-config or do a show startup-config, I get NVRAM errors like bad checsum or NVRAM Failed.

however, if I do a memory test it says NVRAM passes?

like this:

Router#copy running-config startup-config
Destination filename [startup-config]?
Building configuration...
[OK]
NVRAM Verification Failed
Router#show startup-config
%Error opening nvram:/startup-config (Invalid Checksum)
Router#

but as I said if i do the memory test command it says it passes?
is there a way to test an IOS image? somebody at techexams mention it is possible this can be cause by corrupt IOS image writing to wrong locations?

hmm let me check if the chip in the 2650xm can be taken out and not onboard....

Edit: nvm, looks like you attempted that (sucessfully?) already when you did the password recovery. Usually it would barf on you there if the NVRAM was bad, especially if you run that test memory command.

I wouldn't rule out trying a fresh IOS version. Grant it, it's unlikely that would get corrupted, but who knows.

Last edited:
What happens when you do "wr erase"?

write erase works. That is how i cleared the config.

Sometimes when i did the procedure I would get the option "Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:" but this would ot always show up. choosing no would not work and continue to load the startup-config. However when i did yes and filled out all the questions it would work brinking me to the router prompt where I was able to perform the write erase to delete the startup-config.

monitor: command "boot" aborted due to user interrupt
rommon 1 > confreg 0x2142

You must reset or power cycle for new config to take effect
rommon 2 > reset

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x9d57b0
Self decompressing the image : ################################################# ################################################## ############################## ################################################## ############ [OK]

Smart Init is enabled
smart init is sizing iomem
ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE
00036E 0X000BA600 C2650XM Single Fast Ethernet
0X000F3BB0 public buffer pools
0X00211000 public particle pools
TOTAL: 0X003BF1B0

If any of the above Memory Requirements are
"UNKNOWN", you may be using an unsupported
configuration or there is a software problem and
system operation may be compromised.
Rounded IOMEM up to: 4Mb.
Using 3 percent iomem. [4Mb/128Mb]

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
170 West Tasman Drive
San Jose, California 95134-1706

Technical Support: Cisco - Shortcut
Image text-base: 0x8000808C, data-base: 0x8111B348

cisco 2650XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x200) with 126976K/4096K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID JAE080411WW (742437874)
M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
1 Serial network interface(s)
32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
49152K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

class map VIDEO-** not configured

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

00:00:08: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to up
00:00:08: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0/0, changed state to down
*Mar 1 00:00:08: %PARSER-4-BADCFG: Unexpected end of configuration file.

*Mar 1 00:00:08: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console
*Mar 1 00:00:09: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to down
*Mar 1 00:00:09: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/0, changed state to down
*Mar 1 00:01:18: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to administratively down
*Mar 1 00:01:18: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial0/0, changed state to administratively down
*Mar 1 00:01:19: %IP-5-WEBINST_KILL: Terminating DNS process
*Mar 1 00:01:19: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --
Technical Support: Cisco - Shortcut
Copy
RTNCCARDR01 liright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.
*Mar 1 00:01:19: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host RTNCCARDR01 is undergoing a cold startne 0

User Access Verification

Password:
% Access denied

Edit: nvm, looks like you attempted that (sucessfully?) already when you did the password recovery. Usually it would barf on you there if the NVRAM was bad, especially if you run that test memory command.

I wouldn't rule out trying a fresh IOS version. Grant it, it's unlikely that would get corrupted, but who knows.

so what could be going on? write erase and memory test show the nvram to be fine however i cannot show startup-config and copy run start?

is that strange?

If "wr erase" worked, you would never see that old config again. I bet after you did "wr erase" you typed "yes" to save changes before a reload. That's actually a trick question, you want to say no there.

If you said no there, and the old config is still present... something didn't work.

Also I've seen just about everything in IOS but this is stumping me..
Code:

Line 1 should wait until you answer, not give you the IOS "press return" greeting until you answer a yes or no (IIRC, it doesn't let you just hit enter without an answer). When you say "yes" it asks you bs questions and puts some settings in the config. When you say no, it leaves the blank config blank.
I'm not sure what invokes Line 3 if you're running 0x2142.

Are you sure your terminal settings are correct? 9600/8/N/1 i think. Try good old hyperterminal. Otherwise... corrupted image/bad hw?

If "wr erase" worked, you would never see that old config again. I bet after you did "wr erase" you typed "yes" to save changes before a reload. That's actually a trick question, you want to say no there.

If you said no there, and the old config is still present... something didn't work.

Code:

Line 1 should wait until you answer, not give you the IOS "press return" greeting until you answer a yes or no (IIRC, it doesn't let you just hit enter without an answer). When you say "yes" it asks you bs questions and puts some settings in the config. When you say no, it leaves the blank config blank.

Are you sure your terminal settings are correct? 9600/8/N/1 i think. Try good old hyperterminal. Otherwise... corrupted image/bad hw?

Grr, I don't know anymore. I am using putty and the settings are correct. Is there a way to start clean?

I have 128mb dram and 16mb flash I was going to upgrade also. I think I will do this and see if new ios solves the problem.

Any good instructions for this ?

I will have to load ios to flash from rommon right?

Code:

here is what it looks like when I do a write erase:

Router>en
Router#erase nv
Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [con firm]
[OK]
Erase of nvram: complete
Router#
00:02:14: %SYS-7-NV_BLOCK_INIT: Initialized the geometry of nvram

I thought i had it working after an IOS upgrade but after having the router off for awhile then turning it back on it lost the config and now I am getting this:

router#copy run start
Destination filename [startup-config]?
Bad configuration memory structure -- try rewriting
Building configuration...

EEPROM write error - timeout[OK]
router#

Try this:

Cisco said:
Router#test memory
Test NVRAM card [y/n] ? y
Failed

The solution is to issue the write erase command and reload the router. If the issue persists, the hardware needs to be replaced.

OK little update. I got home tonight and tried to see if things were working again and they were not. So, I opened the router up and pressed down on the nvram chip and blew pretty hard around it. After I did this i booted up the router without any nvram errors and successfully was able to perform all commands that use the nvram, write erase, show start, and copy run start. All of them seemed to work. Maybe this was an issue with dust or chip creep? I currently have the router powered down and going to see if it retains the config.

Good news. I had the router powered down all day today and when I got home tonight I booted it up just fine. Hopefully this was a dust/chip creep problem and I don't start to get any more nvram problems. This was a great learning experience anyways. I learned a plethora of commands, rommon, config register settings, and how to load a new IOS via tftp.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited:
Cool dude.. like i said, i've seen just about everything.. so something weird had to be going on.

Glad you were able to learn all this stuff, this is what will separate you from CCNA #1010239935995292. If you're motivated, keep gaining practical experience like this. You will get frustrated at times but you should be able to overcome it.

Back