Resetting Cisco Catalyst

netsider

Limp Gawd
I just bought a Cisco Catalyst 3500XL off of Ebay, to practice with for school. I've logged in with hyper-terminal and everything seems to work fine, except I don't have the "enable" password. I know how to reset it numerous ways knowing the enable password, but none without, and any methods of doing a "hard reset" do not seem to work at all (holding in the mode button, etc). I think if I could enter enable mode, I'd be fine.. but is there any way to do that? I'd think being hardwired in via serial port would be enough authorization to reset a few functions... but I guess maybe not ;) I have a lot of experimenting to do and I can't get past this point. I tried "enable password <new password here>', but that didn't work... because I'm pretty sure you need to be in enable mode to do that. I can't use the "clear" command or anything right now.

Thanks... any help is always appreciated. ;)

The mode button is the only way to reset the switch. I had a broken mode button on my 3560E (hence why I got it so cheap) and I had to open up the switch and manually press the mode button to reset it. So if the mode button reset isn't working during boot or once it is already up, you may have to do that.

Thanks guys...you were right. I missed the part where it said to hold the mode button down "while reconnecting the power connector". That's actually a sweet way to restart it, and it works every time... you don't even need to restart or log out of hyper terminal either.

Yeah, a broken mode button would *definitely* be a huge problem, and I can see why. Without that little button, I wouldn't have been able to do anything about it.

After I finally reset the switch via the mode button, I captured a video of me configuring it, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqbuNIuddUU.

What does the mode button even do, anyways? I could look it up, but asking is just much easier. :cool: Thanks guys.

Thanks guys...you were right. I missed the part where it said to hold the mode button down "while reconnecting the power connector". That's actually a sweet way to restart it, and it works every time... you don't even need to restart or log out of hyper terminal either.

Yeah, a broken mode button would *definitely* be a huge problem, and I can see why. Without that little button, I wouldn't have been able to do anything about it.

After I finally reset the switch via the mode button, I captured a video of me configuring it, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqbuNIuddUU.

What does the mode button even do, anyways? I could look it up, but asking is just much easier. :cool: Thanks guys.

Port LEDs and Modes
Each 10/100 port and module slot has a port LED. These port LEDs, as a group
or individually, display information about the switch and about the individual
ports. The port modes (Table 1-6) determine the type of information displayed
through the port LEDs.
To select or change a mode, press the Mode button until the desired mode is
highlighted. When you change port modes, the meaning of the port LED colors
also changes. Table 1-7 and Table 1-8 explain how to interpret the port LED
colors after you change the port mode.
Note To change the port mode in the Catalyst 3548 XL switch, press the
Mode label.

STAT -- Port status The port status. -- This is the default mode.
UTL -- Switch utilization -- The current bandwidth in use by the switch.
DUPLX -- Port duplex mode -- The port duplex mode: full duplex or half duplex.
SPEED -- Port speed -- The port operating speed: 10, 100, or 1000 Mbps.
LINE PWR -- Port inline power -- The inline power status: on or off.

http://docstore.mik.ua/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc/3500hig.pdf
pg 1-18

Googling is actually much easier.

Also holy old hyper-terminal Batman! Putty FTW.

Also holy old hyper-terminal Batman! Putty FTW.

Yup. If you are doing anything with routers, you should be using Putty (or Kitty). HyperTerminal is ancient and a newb. Don't be that guy... :)

Yup. If you are doing anything with routers, you should be using Putty (or Kitty). HyperTerminal is ancient and a newb. Don't be that guy... :)

Well now ... while your point is true ... a tool is a tool.

Back