Reset Windows 7 colour calibrations/settings

[U]ber|Noob

Limp Gawd
My windows 7 colour calibration is wrong somehow.

Blacks look grey, everything looks very washed out. With linux there is no problem.
I have used f.lux (but uninstalled now) and also run an eye one colour calibration (which I have uninstalled now) in the past (with old monitor).

How can I reset the colour settings in windows completely? I looked at the colour calibration dialogs but they are very complicated for a newbie. Is there some easy way to just reset everything all at once?

In the "Color management" "advanced tab" everything is on "system default".

Last edited:
Click the Start button or tap the Windows key on your keyboard and type "calibrate" - when the option for "Change advanced color management settings for displays..." appears, select it. On the "All Profiles" tab, scroll to the bottom to the section labeled "ICC Profiles" and delete whatever happens to be there but only in that section, then reboot the machine. That should be a total reset of all color management settings and options.

You were in the right place, just looking at the wrong tab. ;)

Thanks I followed those instructions. There were two I couldn't delete "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" and "Agfa: Swoop Standard".

I deleted all the others and restarted but unfortunately it's still all washed out. :(

You could try going into Device Manager and then uninstalling - yes, I mean uninstall and not just disable - any displays/monitors currently listed as working hardware which should erase their profiles entirely. Upon a reboot that should reset things, but I won't offer a guarantee of it.

If you can find the actual ICC profile for your display(s)/monitor(s) which is usually but not always offered up by the device manufacturer you might be able to install them.

Also, check any utilities your video card might be using like the Catalyst Control Center or Nvidia Control Panel which could be overriding the Windows default(s).

I fixed it.

It turned out to be I had to reset desktop color settings in the Nvidia control panel.
It was probably good to delete all those colour calibration icc profiles though because I just got a new monitor.

Back