• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Reset turbo boost limit?

4mbi3nt

n00b
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Messages
27
I just built a new rig (parts below) and no matter what I try the turbo boost on my 2500k never goes above 3.4ghz. I've OC'd plenty in the past and have a bit with this new setup, but only with the OC genie so far. OCG clocks the proc up to 4.2ghz @ 1.4v core. I'm curious if there's a way to reset the turbo boost limit for a SB proc. Does anyone else have a SB 2500k that won't turbo boost above 3.4ghz? I did some searching but haven't found much. Seems like everyone gets at least 3.5 or better on turbo with no OC. Temps are 24 idle 42 load, 56 load with the 4.2 @ 1.4v core. I've upgraded drivers from what the board came with, bios is 1.9, pulled the proc and PSU power cord, put back together, etc. no change, tried with just 1 core enabled to see if that would make a difference, still the same 3.4...

When I first enabled turbo boost it didn't work, I found I had to disable the XMP profile for the RAM and set the "enable multipler change in OS" setting in the bios. I ran a defag in windows and I saw the turbo jump to 3.57, then it dropped off to 3.4 and hasn't gotten that high since. I've tested with OCCT and Prime95. With P95, I set it to one thread then set proc affinity in taskman to just one core, no change. Anything else I can try? I'm going to OC soon, but I was hoping to just OC for gaming and utilize the turbo boost while doing everyday tasks. Thanks for any help!

2500k
Antec Kuhler 620
MSIp67-GD65
8gb Corsair Vengeance CL8
2x 640GB WD blacks
2x 8800GTS 640 SLI
700W Thermaltake PSU
LG BR/DVD
Coolermaster CM 690 II advanced (2x140mm, 4x120mm)
 
Last edited:
Anyone else have this problem with an SB proc? Even with a different board. Anyone tried returning their SB for an issue like this or similar? I got my 2500k at microcenter (for $179) and said they won't take it back unless it's defective but they couldn't tell me exactly what that means and want me to bring it in for one of their techs to test it.
 
Also updated to the 1.A (1.10) bios and that didn't effect the boost at all, but it did fix the XMP profiles for my ram so that it gets clocked at the right settings now.
 
Turn off the eist, c1e, c3, c6 states, disable turbo boost, disable the "by all cores" thing, disable OS multiplier control, and just set a multiplier manually in the BIOS. Piece of cake.
 
If you go to control panel....power options.......and select maximum performance it will run at the rated speed. Just tried it on mine after running a search and seems to be holding at 3.4
 
Thanks for the suggestions. I can manually OC to 4.4 with 1.35 vcore, C1e enabled, speedstep, VT, etc.

I checked the power settings and already have those set to max. Guess the 3.4 max turbo with this setup is just "how it is".
 
I'm not sure this really worked...in controll panel it says 3.4....but looking at the turbo bosst thing on screen tells me a different story.....like it's throtling down under that...geuss i need to run one of those programs that give real time specs to verify.
 
Back
Top