Reset IE Settings via Script or GPO?

Nate7311

2[H]4U
I manage a terminal server environment where users log in for an application and also have Citrix access through this session. I have disabled ESC, but have found that I need to reset IE settings for each user for that to take effect. How do I script this for new users? I did some quick googling on the net w/o result. There's an MS Fixit available to do this but it doesn't have a Silent install option... Any ideas?

Last edited:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

It has a /quiet and /passive option, but the problem is that there's an option in the Fixit. I can't force selection and/or continuance. It pops up and asks for the user input.

This is just one possibility, I'd be happier with a GPO or a PS script :D

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

It has a /quiet and /passive option, but the problem is that there's an option in the Fixit. I can't force selection and/or continuance. It pops up and asks for the user input.

This is just one possibility, I'd be happier with a GPO or a PS script :D
Ah, I see your point. Curious, I did a few searches myself and found this to be one of those issues where no one has a good answer, but there are enough misunderstanding and assumptions to make it frustrating. I ran across several threads where people were asking for a silent, unattended way to do it, and they kept getting redirected to fixit 50195. Apparently because prompting for user input doesn't count as "attended".

You've piqued my curiosity, let me know if you find anything. I'm still poking around too. There should be a very simple way to do this.

Have you considered copying the Reset IE registry entries via a login script?

When you click the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature with administrative credentials, the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
registry subtree settings are reset. These settings apply to all the users on a specific computer. This affects the browsing experience of users who are using Internet Explorer at the time that the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature is implemented and users who open a new browsing session after the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature is implemented.

If users do not change the settings, Internet Explorer reads those settings from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
registry subtree, and then the settings are cleaned. However, the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature does not touch the settings that users specifically customize.

Back