Researchers Teleport 10,000 Bits of Information

Can they duplicate as well as move? I would think that they can, but I didn't see that in there. Just a lot of teleporting.

First, this ain't obvious shit. I took quantum mechanics as part of the core physics classes for physicists, I took quantum mechanics as an undergrad class, I took quantum mechanics as a graduate level class, I took quantum field theory as a graduate level class, and it still doesn't make much sense to me. I question how much people really claim understand it when they said the read a Brief History of Time (I read it) and *gag* The Elegant Universe (read this too... unfortunately)

Those books are for us laymen with no training in advance physics. For example, in The Elegant Universe, the early chapters are meant to give the laymen a picture of what relativity and quantum mechanics are about. At this level, we're just trying to understand some of the significant features or characteristic of quantum mechanics without trying to dig deeper. We just accept the probabilistic feature of quantum mechanics without trying to figure out why it's so.

We're not trying to "understand" it by digging to the very fundamental workings of nature in search of something that make sense to us. We simply accept that quantum mechanics is counter-intuitive.

When it comes to cutting edge science, I tend to put more stock in the people that start by explaining all the things they don't know and would like to find out about. The people that already know all there is to know about cutting edge science? They're probably in marketing.
Anyone who starts by explaining what they don't know clearly isn't speaking to the general public. Without background information, we cannot appreciate the work physicist are doing. Physicist such as Stephen Hawking and Brian Greene are working at the forefront of physics, but that's not where they can start when talking to the laymen. They work they do are too abstract for us to understand or appreciate.

Einstein does allow for faster then light information transfer... "spooky action at a distance". He couldn't solve all the math and he never agreed completely with Quantum mehcanics...

The cool thing about experiments like this one... is the potential to discover unexpected results that will lead to some new math that will further explain what is really happening. That these guys are able to replicate the result they are looking for is promising... and should lead to further discoveries.

Einstein does allow for faster then light information transfer... "spooky action at a distance". He couldn't solve all the math and he never agreed completely with Quantum mehcanics...

The cool thing about experiments like this one... is the potential to discover unexpected results that will lead to some new math that will further explain what is really happening. That these guys are able to replicate the result they are looking for is promising... and should lead to further discoveries.

As it stands right now , I can tell you from what I'm doing research on that Einstein was basically knocking at the door of Quantum Mechanics and that was a 40 year knock for him and that the idea of the Big Bang is beginning to appear entirely flawed. However one thing Einstein , based on my own research and overall opinion mind you as there is no census yet and thanks to what's been discovered in recent times (<3 LHC) , is going to be proven right with is that it seems the Universe truly .. is.. eternal. It turns out you don't need a tight infinitesimal point of gathered forces and energy to create a rapid big stretch (I hate calling "bang" which implies an explosion). You can simply have matter rubber band back closer together and stretch back out again , this could have happened an infinite amount of times but it will also mean that time itself never really begins nor does it end during these events , that time is actually probably eternal which in itself is a confusing concept. Einstein never quite liked the Big Bang theory , he always felt it interfered with the Cosmological Principle and the incredibly near homogeneous state of the observable Universe.

I think the JWST is going to give us more insight to those critical few picoseconds right before rapid inflation.

Its a damn exciting time to be a physicist and I can't wait for Quantum computers to become common place like current silicon PC's are. Once we can get a Quantum computer capable of calculating with hundreds of Qbits per second we'll have a computer more powerful than a silicon computer the size of the observable Universe.

Actually spooky action at a distance isn't any FTL mechanism. It's simply a not-knowing how the information i.e. knowing their is a mass with gravity, or a charge of a certain value. That information has been remedied via things like virtual photons, perhaps gravitons and/or gravity waves, all of which still travel at the speed of light. So if the Sun disappeared Earth would still orbit as if the Sun was there for 8.5 minutes or so.

Back