Researchers Remote Hack A Tesla

HardOCP News

[H] News
A group of researchers say they have remotely hacked a Tesla, taking control of the Model S in both Parking and Driving Mode. According to Keen Security Lab, the vulnerabilities have been confirmed by the Tesla Product Security Team.

With several months of in-depth research on Tesla Cars, we have discovered multiple security vulnerabilities and successfully implemented remote, aka none physical contact, control on Tesla Model S in both Parking and Driving Mode. It is worth to note that we used an unmodified car with latest firmware to demonstrate the attack.

as these cars get more popular, we will see the new wave of global terrorism. but then again maybe not, prices on these effin things will keep it at bay......for a little while.

Automatically connecting to open wifi hotspots should be disabled by default in all devices. It's not worth the security risk.

Software updates of any kind (for cars) should require a physical connection. That's the only way to prevent this type of attack and the only way people will ever trust this technology.

Just like everything ever made.

You mean like, a hammer, or a fork, or a lead pencil? Stop being pedantic, the more complicated something gets the more hidden problems it will have. When you add in the ability for the car to be controlled from the outside, you've opened yourself up to any number of possible negative outcomes. Do the benefits outweigh those possible negative outcomes, not matter how unlikely? NO.

Something tells me it might be easier to just conk a Tesla owner on the noggin and steal the car the old fashioned way.

Great, now it's only the unknown vulnerabilities they have to worry about.

This is pedantic. My post points that out. Unknown vulnerabilities exist in fences, padlocks, airport security, email software, keyless entry systems, cell phone cameras, Windows 10, Walmart parking lots, Cisco routers, Walmart self-service checkout lines, plastic fork tines, whatever makes the graphite of your pencil snap instead of write, etc, etc. Once the people who make these things work out all the known vulnerabilities, only the unknown ones remain. No shit, eh?

Spouting truisms on the internet as you did is not indicative of wisdom.

This is pedantic. My post points that out. Unknown vulnerabilities exist in fences, padlocks, airport security, email software, keyless entry systems, cell phone cameras, Windows 10, Walmart parking lots, Cisco routers, Walmart self-service checkout lines, plastic fork tines, whatever makes the graphite of your pencil snap instead of write, etc, etc. Once the people who make these things work out all the known vulnerabilities, only the unknown ones remain. No shit, eh?

Spouting truisms on the internet as you did is not indicative of wisdom.

I was obviously being facetious and not "spouting truisms". So you are saying that a fence post has the same chance of unknown vulnerabilities as a car with a few million lines of code and easily exploitable hardware? My post was specifically pointing out that simple inventions (fork, etc) are at the opposite end of the complication spectrum than something like a computer program, airplane, or Tesla, and therefore will have a higher chance of hidden issues. No shit, indeed. So, is it worth it? Put your son or daughter in that car that gets hacked and crashed into a wall, do you still feel the same? Is it worth it to gain....wait what are we gaining by connecting our cars to the internet?

Back