Researchers Build a Microprocessor from Flexible Materials

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It’s still weak sauce, having only 115 transistors, but researchers have managed to build a working (I presume) microprocessor out of transition-metal dichalcogenide (TMD), a flexible, graphene-like material. The point, of course, is tech that can go toward future bendable devices, such as tablets or smartphones. TMD and graphene are capable of flexing due to their two-dimensional makeup: they are made with crystals just one layer of atoms or molecules thick.

With only 115 transistors, their processor isn't going to top any benchmark rankings, but it's "a first step towards the development of microprocessors based on 2D semiconductors," the researchers at Vienna University of Technology said in a paper published in the journal Nature this month. Two-dimensional materials have the benefit of flexibility, meaning that they can be incorporated more easily into wearable devices or connected sensors, and potentially making them less breakable: Picture a smartphone that bends rather than breaks if you drop it.

It’s still weak sauce, having only 115 transistors, but researchers have managed to build a working (I presume) microprocessor out of transition-metal dichalcogenide (TMD), a flexible, graphene-like material. The point, of course, is tech that can go toward future bendable devices, such as tablets or smartphones. TMD and graphene are capable of flexing due to their two-dimensional makeup: they are made with crystals just one layer of atoms or molecules thick.

With only 115 transistors, their processor isn't going to top any benchmark rankings, but it's "a first step towards the development of microprocessors based on 2D semiconductors," the researchers at Vienna University of Technology said in a paper published in the journal Nature this month. Two-dimensional materials have the benefit of flexibility, meaning that they can be incorporated more easily into wearable devices or connected sensors, and potentially making them less breakable: Picture a smartphone that bends rather than breaks if you drop it.
I see this being more used in control chips for wearables first imagine glasses that function as a display that are durable enough for someone to step on them. A jacket with smart sensors like in back to the future. It will be a while till we can make this with the density needed to power a phone or tablet.

this is now ths stupidest thing i have seen all day. A i7 7700k has an excess of 1bil transistors in a die size of around 1cm2 that puts curent technology at around 10 mil transistors per square milimeter. i cannot think of a single application that couldnt work around haveing a ridged 1mm chip in it.

this is now ths stupidest thing i have seen all day. A i7 7700k has an excess of 1bil transistors in a die size of around 1cm2 that puts curent technology at around 10 mil transistors per square milimeter. i cannot think of a single application that couldnt work around haveing a ridged 1mm chip in it.
Yes also the interconnects and other components are limiting like I said this is a bigger move for peripheral development than making a phone that can flex like paper...

Also thickness and durability is a concern with these devices, silicon is not that strong, and graphene is actually pretty strong as a material.

Plus you cannot make single layered silicon chips in ways you can with graphene. Carbon is an extremely versatile element that we are gifted (you and I are made of a carbon backbone, which shares the same carbon as diamonds, shows flexible carbon is, no pun intended).

Yes also the interconnects and other components are limiting like I said this is a bigger move for peripheral development than making a phone that can flex like paper...
flexible interconnect an parts like that are significantly easier to make them a decent flexible chip. I would much rather see the money go into smaller devices rather then this.

flexible interconnect an parts like that are significantly easier to make them a decent flexible chip. I would much rather see the money go into smaller devices rather then this.

I would rather see the money go into both..... We need to move forward and this is the first step towards that future. :)

Flexible circuits should mean greater damage resistance. Which should mean they'll go into military applications rapidly. Naturally that will push them into the fast lane of development.

Back