Rescuing a CRT?

Grathrax

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 9, 2005
Messages
333
So while I was gone at college my brother moved an old CRT monitor from a desk to the floor....and when I plug it back in one side of the monitor (about the right third) has a very strong blue tint to it, with a little green in the lower corner. This is because it was placed less than a foot away from a subwoofer. What I want to know is if there is any way to restore this monitor to its original state? Perhaps magnetizing the whole thing and then using color adjustments to neutralize the damage? Anything?
 
Did you try degaussing it? Sometimes even taking a magnet and moving it around in front of the monitor might fix problems like these.

It shouldn't be dead.
 
B. W. said:
Did you try degaussing it? Sometimes even taking a magnet and moving it around in front of the monitor might fix problems like these.

It shouldn't be dead.

Its an older monitor and lacks a degauss function. I am trying to locate a magnet in my house to use on it, since picking up the woofer to degauss it would be a little awkward.
 
Grathrax said:
Its an older monitor and lacks a degauss function.
Just how old? I mean, degauss has been a standard feature for at least a decade now.
 
Lethal said:
Just how old? I mean, degauss has been a standard feature for at least a decade now.

Well, it was given to me by a neighbor. The box it was paired with looked capable of running DOS like a champ.
 
You can most likely degaus by this cool method: Turn off, turn on :p

Seriously, if it's THAT old ..... its not even worth degaussing, just throw it away even if its works lol. Im jk, but if you cant degauss or get the color back, you might be looking at color guns ... and seeing as its old, just upgrade if the monitor doesnt start acting right,
 
When I just now turned it on after having it off all night, the discoloration went away.

Thanks for your help anyway though!

I would just throw it out, but I use it with my 12" iBook when I am at home because the max 1024 resolution aint a lot of space to work with so having dual monitors is nice. (requires a hack though)
 
CRTs can be picky. Degaussing almost always fixes it, though one of my older Sony TVs (with the speakers on either side, IDIOTS) managed to pick up a nice patch of magnetic banding on the image after moving. Turned out to be a bad thermister that wasn't allowing it to degauss properly every on/off.
 
Back
Top