Rerouting internet traffic

realdiehl

Limp Gawd
Hey all. I have two internet connections at the house. The one isn't very reliable but has a fast upload speed. The other connection is reliable and has a fast download speed, but very slow upload speed. So what I would like to do is reroute some of my internet traffic to one connection, and some other traffic to another connection. Is there a program or something that would allow me to do that? Or if not, is there a program that will allow me to direct which ports use which connection? Thank you for any help that you can give.

Kurt

Well, right now there is a network set up and every machine is running XP. The Router is a Netgear FVL328 if that matters at all.

Hmm...anyone? Snugglebear you gave me a little hope when you replied, but now no one has any ideas. :(

I dont have any info on it right now, but I do
know that you can find little home routers
that will bridge the bandwidth of multiple
net connects into one. It will route traffic
over whichever connection is best/available.

Most of the time people use it for say
some sort of broadband cable or dsl connection
and then have a backup dialup connection or so
but they usually just have 2 wan ethernet ports
and will route traffic over whichever is faster.

Originally posted by anotherguy159
load balancing

wont work on different connections..

what you want is load sharing/distribution ;)

as was said you can do this with some expensive hardware routers and in *nix i believe

Originally posted by FLECOM
wont work on different connections..

what you want is load sharing/distribution ;)

as was said you can do this with some expensive hardware routers and in *nix i believe
Ah semantics! ;)

There are a few apps that do this on windows, but they're kinda spendy. Don't remember the names of them either, since it's been so long since I touched one of them (phased out for Solaris/BSD solutions @ various job sites).

Wow...I posted this question a few days ago and only snuggle replied and I come back today and I have a bunch of responses! I love [H]ers! Anyway, I just bought this router about 6 months ago and spent quite a bit for it. I'd hate to have to buy more hardware just to hook up two connections to it. Also, I'd like to specify which traffic goes to which connection. Ideally I'd like to have any of my major uploading to be done on the connection that has the better uploading speed (obviously). And vice versa for the downloading. I don't think a hardware solution gets that specific for which connection to select. So, if anyone can help Snugglebear remember the software solution that does this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thank you again in advance!

Kurt :D

Well, it's a Netgear FVL328. It's pretty configurable, but I would definitely still classify it as a SOHO router. Feel free to check it out here. It's certainly one of Netgear's top routers.

Haha why thank you! It's been a great router for me. Of course I only have four computers up to it, so I'm not even getting close to seeing how the whole thing can handle high traffic, but oh well. I love the configurablilty of the router. Of course, if this had an option to hook up two internet connections to it, I'd be quite happy.

You know, I just thought of something that may help. One of the connections I have will be directly from a cable modem. The other one will come from another router. So I can plug the cable modem into the WAN port of the router and the other connection on to one of the LAN ports on the router. So the connection of the two internet lines shouldn't be an issue. So I guess what I'm looking for now is something to point the different port connections to the different IPs and I should be set. Of course, my search on Google hasn't provied to be too successful!

That wouldn't really work... well, do you get more than one IP from either of your internet services?

you could use a low-end cisco + route maps and access lists. you can send traffic out different next-hops based on their destination tcp port or source ip, etc...

regards,
steve

Ok, well at least I know I have options. Is there a way I can use the existing equipment that I have?

Back