Requesting some higher end audio advice...

HyperTension

[H]ard|Gawd
Alrighty, thanks to Head-Fi, I've moved from on board sound, to an Elite Pro... then to DT770 Pros, decided that the sound was still a bit hallow and added an HeadRoom Micro Amp.

Recently, I transitioned from VBR MP3 to FLAC (wow.. what the hell was I thinking all those years!?!?!?!)...

Next, upgraded to an Audio-GD Compass about 4 weeks ago. While soundstage was definitely improved, I really think my headphones were limiting for what I was moving up to, so I ordered a set of Denon 7000's from XXXXXXX (ordered May 2nd, and still on backorder), and in the mean time, the gain switch (probable cause) died, and I'll be sending it back to Audio-GD on Monday for repair.

Now comes the questions... I've really been impressed with Audio-GD in general regarding the amount of usage here, and positive feedback vs. cost and I'm can't help but wondering what music will sound like if I upgrade to the DAC-19Mk3 and a C2-C amp. Primary usage will be for music (I listen to anything but ghetto crap, primary Jazz, Techno / Dance / Classical, and 80's rock).

My only hesitation is because of my current set of can's, I know that I can upgrade the components, but if my can's remain constant, it's pretty much display and wasted money, and once (please God, make it soon) I receive them, the break-in period begins, and I really don't want to taint my perception until they are broken in. And to further muddy up the waters, a lot of people are very happy with the compass and the D2/D5/D7K in general.

::Chuckles:: and to make it worse, I really don't want to have the setup be computer --> Elite Pro Card --> Breakout Box --> Compass --> D7000's. I'd like to have a single card that will do perform EAX (I do game), yet be able to output better quality sound via SPDIF / coax. I'm currently looking at the ASUS Essence STX, but I'm more than willing to listen to other advise / suggestions.

Any advice / opinions here are greatly encouraged, and appreciated.

On the simplification issue... well, the only thing you would be able to cut out is the breakout box.

As for upgrading, I don't know about those specific components, but if they ARE an upgrade, they will certainly sound better.

I still don't really get your question... Was there a question in there?

What's your budget and are you stuck on headphones?

Yea, I am too very confused as to what the question is.
However, if you are going to use SPDIF, then why you want that specific STX soundcard? Besides, if you want real EAX, nothing beats an X-Fi. I tried the emulated EAX on a 7.1 setup using my Asus HDAV1.3, and I was very disappointed. And if you add to the problem by making it emulate the headphone version too, I feel you might just make it worse.
However, I'm not sure which specific games you play (some have really good support, like World of Warcraft), not do I know how much you value gaming.

Sorry for the insane post above, 18hr shift in the hospital will do that to you....

After some sleep, and thinking a bit more straight, I think I was trying to see if anybody was really using that level of audio hardware, and to see what their impression was (primarily of EAX capable soundcard with DAC vs DAC only).

After nappage, and a bit more research, I think I'll just change my soundcard to the Titanium Fatality, and use the optical / SPDIF out on there to my Compass DAC/Amp (I'd like to get rid of the breakout box). I think that I'm not appreciating my current setup mostly because of my current headphones (DT 770Pro), and once my Denon AH-D7000's show up, and get broken in, I'll probably think a bit differently.

Again, sorry for the shortbus, mouthpiece, and safety helmet post above.... :D

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan. I have heard good things about the Compass and D7000. Are you going to perform the MarkL mod on the D7000?

Possibly. It appears pretty straightfoward, and most people say the results are worth it.

The reason why I'm going to wait though is that I really don't know how they will sound as is. Heck, it's going to take 200+ hours of normal usage (and a white noise generator when I'm not using it) to get things broken in.

Hopefully JR will send my D7K's here this week.. I placed my order on the 2nd of May, and it's still backordered (great deal though on them, so I don't terribly mind the waiting, seeing how they are generally $999)

I'm pretty interested in hearing the upgrade (DT 770) to the Denons....

Back