• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

request info confirmation VT-D

lightp2

Gawd
Joined
Oct 28, 2009
Messages
672
this is info research only. no immediate buying/usage.

1. I am searching at ark.intel.com
2. I am asking because sometimes maybe info update not complete.

RE : VT-D support. (please note VT-D, not VT-x, different thing)

1. All the 32nm hexa-core xeons/i7 do not list VT-D.
2. 32nm i5 650/660/680 list VT-D
3. 45nm Xeons 55xx/34xx have VT-D

are there any plan change or new development? personally trying to buy a budget system to try VT-D but does not seem to have any low-cost entry point for me :) and 32nm Xeon no VT-D surprised me.

note: understand core 2 series have VT-D with right combination of CPU/MB. thinking about moving to newer environment.
 
Last edited:
Hmmmm... not sure on the answer here. I thought VT-d was more of a motherboard/chipset thing? I know my P6X58D Premium has an option for it in the BIOS. Never bothered enabling it or trying it out...
 
VT-D does depend on CPU. For example Core-i3 530 is good overclocking for entry-level system but does not support VT-D. The more expensive 2c/4t i5-650 does VT-D but price close to i5-750. i5-750 quad good all-rounder but no VT-D. Intel marketing/pricing departments are very good :)

no complaint on the situation, but I am just very surprise to see VT-D not listed for hexa-core. Don't know whether it is lacking website update or actual feature removal???
 
Pretty much all the Xeon 5500/5600 or 3400/3500 have VT-D support, which is expected.

It also lists the i7-8xx series as having VT-D, but not the i3/i5/i7-9xx series (except i5-6x0 and i7-8x0 series). I find the lack of VT-D on the i7-9xx series somewhat perplexing, given that X58 motherboards (DX58SO) have a VT-D option.
 
I find the lack of VT-D on the i7-9xx series somewhat perplexing, given that X58 motherboards (DX58SO) have a VT-D option.
They are trying to sell you a xeon for several x58 boards do take xeons.
 
If you read this article, it seems to suggest VT-D is supported on the i7 920.

http://www.unproductivitydefined.com/2010/02/building-modern-vmware-esxi-40-whitebox.html

I agree that Intel has been rather vague about VT-D support across it's processor line. I always thought VT-D was implemented in the chipset and not the processor. Perhaps with some of the chipset functionality being moved to the CPU in Lynnfield and Clarkdale, the VT-D functionality was also moved. If this is true, it would imply that for socket 1366 based CPUs, VT-D is implemented in the X58 chipset and for socket 1156 based CPUs, it's implemented in the CPU.

Off course, this is all conjecture on my behalf and hopefully somebody with a more thorough understanding can chime in.
 
As I understand it VT-d is implemented in the chipset but the CPU has to support it. I recently put together an i7 860 ESXi system and VT-d is working great. In hind sight I kind of wish I'd waited since AMD 890fx boards now support IOMMU (same thing as VT-d) and I'd have probably gone with an AMD 6-core setup instead.
 
appreciate your kind effort in giving relevant pointers. I am now on a more firm ground with respect to actual VT-D real-world examples.

As for my situation. I am on personal interest testing and not work-related, with limited fund, I lean toward least cost option knowing incoming SandyBridge/Bulldozer sockets change likely. If I could find a cheaper used system I will go for it. Honestly I just wish i5-650 could be much cheaper
 
Back
Top