Request for some iKVM advice

Franko

Weaksauce
I am planning on consolidating a bunch of gear into a server rack. WHS box, pfSense box, UPS, modem, switch, etc. I got a deal on a Dell 2410 rack so its going to be the home of all this.

I am just a hobbyist so know nothing about racks and professional gear. I was planning on buying a 1u keyboard/lcd/kvm drawer setup for when remote desktop wont work.

While doing research I learned about the ability to use a KVM switch over Ethernet. I also read that some of the more sophisticated ones allow for access while the system is booting and will allow me to access my pfSense box and WHS in a pre-boot environment.

What I am looking for is advice on which method would be better, cheaper, and easier to use. I am hoping to benefit from the experts here rather than learning this as I go (and probably wasting lots of time and money). I would also appreciate any pointers on what to buy or information sources.

Thanks in advance.

Any used digital KVM over IP unit from ebay should be fine. Try to get one that uses ethernet cable and don't forget to include the cost of the pods that connect to the servers. As far as I know, they should all allow you to access a computer pre-boot. Most of the product differentiation will be in screen size / video quality, number of machines / logged in users, and available security mechanisms - stuff that really doesn't matter for most people.

I use a Startech SV841HDIEGB DKVM and 1U 17" IBM Keyboard/LCD drawer. The Keyboard/LCD connect to the DKVM for local access and I can use VNC to connect to the DKVM over the network for remote access (this includes BIOS-level access.)

Back