• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Reqs for DoD: Source server?

limecat

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
101
I'm interested in getting a server to run DoD: Source on. Unfortunately I can't find the requirements to run one. Google has only shown me a list of companies offering game servers for sale, and Wiki had nothing either. So can anyone help me out and tell me what I should have to run a 24 person public DoD server?
 
Windows or Linux?

First thing to consider is that a videocard is absolutely irrelevant for a server. Decent amount of memory (512MB minimum) and processor (AthlonXP 2400 or up; yeah i said athlonxp and not A64...) should be enough. It mostly depends on your internet connection.
 
A dedicated box with any reasonable CPU and about 1Gb of RAM could run a dedicated server ok, it's the bandwidth you need a lot of, you'd need a SDSL or Leased line for that.
 
I *could* probably host it on my 1.5/768 DSL line, but sometimes I'm doing a lot of heavy downloading and would rather nother have my server suffer. I'm thinking of either going to a place that rents game servers, like http://www.fpsgameservers.com/ or renting a box somewhere and installing everything myself.

I just want to know what the reqs are so that I can decide which route is cheaper!
 
Back
Top