Republic of Gamers Announces Strix GL553VW

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS Republic of Gamers today announced Strix GL553VW, a gaming laptop powered by a 6th-generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor, and NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M graphics with Microsoft DirectX® 12 support for superior gaming performance and sharp, detailed visuals. This 15.6-inch gaming laptop features ROG-exclusive Cooling Overboost for customizable fan speeds and GameFirst III software for optimized networks for smooth online gaming experiences.

ROG Strix GL553VW is designed for high-performance gaming and can be specified with up to a 6th-generation Intel Core i7 ‘Skylake’ quad-core processor, discrete NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M graphics and Microsoft DirectX 12 support for superior gaming performance and sharp, detailed visuals. It can be specified with up to 32GB of 2133MHz DDR4 memory, and comes with Windows 10 pre-installed. ROG Strix GL553VW also features up to 512GB PCIe® Gen3 x4 solid state drive (SSD), dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi, USB Type-C (USB-C) and two USB 3.0 ports. Strix GL553VW features a Full HD 15.6-inch IPS panel, with wide 178° viewing angles to ensure minimal color shift even when viewed from extreme positions. In addition, the panel has a matte finish that eliminates glare and reflections.

Yeah, what's up with announcing a "superior gaming performance" laptop with EOL parts that fall far below desktop part performance? I want to see new designs with the Pascal stuff, not more rehashes of stuff that's been on the market for multiple years already.

Here is one that will beat that ROG Strix GL553VW

Sager NP9873

I tried to find the corresponding Taiwanese article in hoping to find it might been translation error, but it doesn't look like there is one.

I'd rather pay to get 1060 or even 1070 on a laptop these days

Yeah releasing a new gaming laptop with a non-pascal graphics chip in it at this point means it's just not even going to get considered at least by me. There's going to be super thin and light stuff with 1060's all over the place.

It's like someone was on vacation for 5 months and they just got back to find no one had released this laptop while they were away...

Back