Republic Commando?

Saloma Teale

Limp Gawd
Anyone else pick this up? I was walkin through CompUSA, picking up a new scanner, and I passed a rack holding this. Kinda picked it up on a whim cuz it looked interesting. I havent read a ton about the game other than that it is squad based and that you play a "Republic Commando" lol.

Impressions?

Thoughts?

Well I really enjoyed the demo. I bought the full version today at Gamestop and they included a Star Wars Novell with the game called Hard Contact. It's apparently from a series of Clone Wars books.

Anyway I installed the game and I set my options and checked out part of the first level on my lunch break. Looks good and it runs a little better on my machine than the demo did. So all in all very nice. I won't get a chance to play it more until 9:30 tonight when I get off work.

All in all I am really looking forward to playing more. The opening sequence was entertaining.

I like it, pretty good graphics and gameplay. I got the demo from MaximumPC.

Jeff

I STILL havent gotten to install this game. Went home last night and got all tied up in EQ2 cuz I found a really good quest group. Maybe tonight I will get to get going on this game...

Saloma Teale said:
I STILL havent gotten to install this game. Went home last night and got all tied up in EQ2 cuz I found a really good quest group. Maybe tonight I will get to get going on this game...
If it's one thing i've learned, it's not to worry with buying other games while I'm still interested in an MMO.

Bane said:
If it's one thing i've learned, it's not to worry with buying other games while I'm still interested in an MMO.

yea i just figured that out :( Where were you when i needed you to tell me not to buy Xenosaga 2 the day after buying WoW :confused:

(i still havent even taken off the wrapper off of the Xenosaga 2 packageing :( )

Hehe. My copy of Republic Commando is still sitting on my kitchen table inside the CompUSA bag, receipt and all.

DemonDiablo said:
yea i just figured that out :( Where were you when i needed you to tell me not to buy Xenosaga 2 the day after buying WoW :confused:

(i still havent even taken off the wrapper off of the Xenosaga 2 packageing :( )
I was playing WoW...

PC GAMER FINAL VERDICT
HIGHS Action-packed gameplay; very impressive graphics; decent squad AI.
LOWS Simplistic mission design; bugs abound; plays itself too often.
BOTTOM LINE If your soul demands that you blast Trade Federation droids, it'll fit the bill.
62% ABOVE AVERAGE

AKA... It's nothing new.

-J.

Mmmm... a review. I really dont trust em. Thanks for posting it though. It was a good thought ^_^.

Personally, I'd rather hear an opinion from someone who's actually played it, and not a canned response from PC Gamer or the like.

For me, there's a big difference in hearing what someone who is not a reviewer has to say about a game and a reviewer's decision. Most game site reviews are holding these games in a light that is overshadowed by other games, and it makes the opinions a little biased in one direction or another.

Yea, I started playing it but is kinda the same thing over and over. I guess it is okay if you are a star wars buff.

Chelica said:
Yea, I started playing it but is kinda the same thing over and over. I guess it is okay if you are a star wars buff.

That’s exactly what PC Gamer was referring to. The same thing over and over. However PC Gamer deducts percentage points for having bugs as well. So if those bugs were fixed, that percentage score might as well hit the 70’s.

But don’t be too cynical against PC Gamer. They’re not like most reviewers. Sometimes their scores are a little bit misleading but if you'd read further, it says “Above Average”. In fact, PC Gamer had high expectations for Republic Commando as they covered the preview of the game but I guess it fell out short (and they simply can’t lie about it).

Also, reviewers have played tons of games and they know most of the time what makes up a good game. Those people on [H] or elsewhere who play games may not have as much access to how good a game is. Remember how pong was so great back then? People called it a “great game” but compared to today, it isn’t that much anymore. Get the drift?

Anyway, I have subscribed to PC Gamer for like almost 5 years now and most of their reviews are spot on. Usually by the next month if that game they reviewed was fixed up from its bugs and improved with new content and/or features, then they usually mention it and state whether they’d recommend it or not.

Also, I do know what you mean by a canned review (I could name some magazines that I actually unsubcribed solely because of it).

-J.

Yeah... not tryin to be cynical. Like you I've just seen alot of review sites that really have no idea what they are talking about. I guess it kind of spoiled me on all reviews except for direct opinion from someone who has played it.

I've enjoyed it a great deal - I've must have put about 2 hours into it and I'm more than pleased.

I too have really enjoyed it. I found the dialogue between NPC's to be very entertaining and while the story isn't monumental or super impressive it's decent for this type of game. Theres more going on in game to help develop the story than 80% of all FPS's out there.

The graphics are good and so far after 4 hours of gameplay I have no major or even minor bugs to report.

The Ai is definatley above average. The game has a moderate difficulty. So while not the hardest thing I've ever played, on medium it's not a walk in the park either.

GeForceX said:
That’s exactly what PC Gamer was referring to. The same thing over and over. However PC Gamer deducts percentage points for having bugs as well. So if those bugs were fixed, that percentage score might as well hit the 70’s.

But don’t be too cynical against PC Gamer. They’re not like most reviewers. Sometimes their scores are a little bit misleading but if you'd read further, it says “Above Average”. In fact, PC Gamer had high expectations for Republic Commando as they covered the preview of the game but I guess it fell out short (and they simply can’t lie about it).

Also, reviewers have played tons of games and they know most of the time what makes up a good game. Those people on [H] or elsewhere who play games may not have as much access to how good a game is. Remember how pong was so great back then? People called it a “great game” but compared to today, it isn’t that much anymore. Get the drift?

Anyway, I have subscribed to PC Gamer for like almost 5 years now and most of their reviews are spot on. Usually by the next month if that game they reviewed was fixed up from its bugs and improved with new content and/or features, then they usually mention it and state whether they’d recommend it or not.

Also, I do know what you mean by a canned review (I could name some magazines that I actually unsubcribed solely because of it).

-J.

PCGAMER lies all the time. Look at DX:IW if you need an example. Even if they can somehow reconcile giving it an 83 (I don't see how), they can't then explain giving Vampire a 77 when its the same style of game done FAR, FAR better.

As for Republic Commando, its consolized garbage. PCGAMER is actually right about this one with their 62 percent score.

Huh, they gave DX:IW an 83? I thought they gave it a very low score because I do remember that they stated, "DX:IW doesn't have the same charm as the first game, a lackluster" of some sort. I agreed as I tried out the demo before. Either way, ignoring their score, they still did say the game wasn't all that great, but I don't know about the 83%.

Keep in mind that they deduct points for bugs and minor annoyances. I'm sure you have the Vampire Masequerde game now but you've also patched it, right? PC Gamer receives all of their games very early in the market (where they just BEGUN shipping out their boxes).Then they'd have a score out on the magazine by the next month which you'll read and disagree immediately after buying it afterwards.

Because they patched many of its bugs and annoyances and improved its gameplay by far and that 77% they gave might as well be an 83% or so. Also, in this month's (or was it last month's?) issue, they stated that they would recommend the game. So as far as I can tell, they are close or on spot with their reviews.

-J.

Speaking of which - I can't play Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines as to do so requires me to do some crap to my refresh rate via dxdiag.

I've not done it because I'm lazy and I don't feel I should have to jump through hoops to play a game.

On that note, the game deserves a -100000000%.

... :rolleyes:

Do: Start -> Run -> Dxdiag -> Last tab -> Override Refresh Rate to 85 Hz (if CRT) / 75 (if LCD).

Or do: right-click on desktop -> settings tab -> advanced button -> third tab -> set refresh rate to 85 Hz (if CRT) / 75 (if LCD). Manage the refresh rate by going to your company's (I assume nVidia or ATI) driver settings and override them the same way.

-J.

Back