Report Says Uber Surge Pricing Has A Twist

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently not all Uber drivers are fans of surge pricing. I guess it would suck to waste your time driving to a surge area only to find out the surge is already over or you don't get a ride request.

A onetime cabbie, he now drives exclusively for UberX, putting in 60 hours a week and earning about $1,750 before gas and maintenance expenses, which he says makes him a top earner on the platform. When his Uber app notifies him about a surge, a price increase in an area where rider demand is high, Sollars knows just what to do: He drives his black Ford Escape somewhere else.

natos

Limp Gawd
Apparently not all Uber drivers are fans of surge pricing. I guess it would suck to waste your time driving to a surge area only to find out the surge is already over or you don't get a ride request.

A onetime cabbie, he now drives exclusively for UberX, putting in 60 hours a week and earning about $1,750 before gas and maintenance expenses, which he says makes him a top earner on the platform. When his Uber app notifies him about a surge, a price increase in an area where rider demand is high, Sollars knows just what to do: He drives his black Ford Escape somewhere else.

$1750 a week before tax and expenses? for 60 hours? I dunno.....that doesn't sound worth it to me. Sounds like he's fighting for every one of those $$.

Az Syndicate

Limp Gawd
$1750 a week before tax and expenses? for 60 hours? I dunno.....that doesn't sound worth it to me. Sounds like he's fighting for every one of those $$.

I agree, I mean that is $29.16 an hour, but like you said, that is before expenses and taxes. The Wear and Tear on the Vehicle is most likely eating into that by 30%... Then Gas and insurance.

sfsuphysics

[H]F Junkie
I agree, I mean that is $29.16 an hour, but like you said, that is before expenses and taxes. The Wear and Tear on the Vehicle is most likely eating into that by 30%... Then Gas and insurance.

Closer to $25/hr real world dollars, because after the first 40 hours, the next 20 are "time and a half" rates which is CA law.

twonunpackmule

[H]ard|Gawd

He gets to claim all of that on his taxes. He's doing pretty well. That's also not including tips...most likely.

I made less than that when I PA'd for over 80+ hours a week on Transformers.

Old_Way

Gawd
After maintenance / gas / insurance / taxes, etc....He's probably bringing home ~$40K per year plus tips. It pays the bills I guess. But at 60 hours a week, he doesn't have a lot of time to enjoy life much.

Domingo

Fully [H]
I see surge pricing, I just use the Lyft app instead. Around here like 95% of the time you pull the same drivers (working for both) and you don't pay anything extra.

rhouck

2[H]4U
He gets to claim all of that on his taxes. He's doing pretty well. That's also not including tips...most likely.

I made less than that when I PA'd for over 80+ hours a week on Transformers.

After maintenance / gas / insurance / taxes, etc....He's probably bringing home ~$40K per year plus tips. It pays the bills I guess. But at 60 hours a week, he doesn't have a lot of time to enjoy life much.

FYI, the default for Uber is NOT to tip. There's not even a way to do it through the app. So, unlikely taxi drivers, one should not assume that they are making any appreciable amount via tips.