Report: PS4 Pro ‘Boost Mode’ improves performance on some older games

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Sony’s next major PlayStation 4 firmware includes a new system setting, Boost Mode, that reportedly enables the PlayStation 4 Pro to deliver better performance for games that don’t explicitly support the beefier console...

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/3/14499188/ps4-pro-boost-mode-firmware-4-50

so this means that games can run better on the Pro even without the Pro patch...good news for Bloodborne!...

Interesting. I got my beta e-mail just a bit ago.
If that works for Bloodborne I'll be ecstatic. I'd even just settle for the game not looking like hot garbage with smoothmotion turned on.

Post on Digital Foundry said that this will just help games better hit their framerate cap. Said if the game already performs a rock solid 30 or 60 fps that this mode won't help.

Post on Digital Foundry said that this will just help games better hit their framerate cap. Said if the game already performs a rock solid 30 or 60 fps that this mode won't help.

Bloodborne is almost always at 30fps however it has frame pacing issue. That is what every complains about, it can feel worse than normal 30 fps.

there are reports on NeoGaf of improved performance with Boost on games such as Assassin's Creed: Unity and Bloodborne

Good stuff. I don't own too many games that will see much improvement with this feature but its better to have it then not. The external game storage feature is probably more useful to me and who doesn't like custom wallpapers, heh.

Tried it out for myself; really works wonders! Smart move by Sony. Can't wait until this hits public firmware!

Is this option in the Beta? Also is it something you have to enable, or is it just on by default? It would be strange if this wasn't just automatically implemented across the board; I mean who wouldn't want better performance?

I played Bloodborne for a couple minutes and didn't notice any difference. Nothing in Uncharted 4 either. Those are still the games I want in 60fps mode more than anything. Will have to see if smoothmotion finally works for them as I didn't have time to test it out.

I played Bloodborne for a couple minutes and didn't notice any difference. Nothing in Uncharted 4 either. Those are still the games I want in 60fps mode more than anything. Will have to see if smoothmotion finally works for them as I didn't have time to test it out.

Frame pacing in Bloodborne is what makes the game seem stuttery. Nothing can fix it unless they decide to make a proper PC port or push out a patch for PS4 pro.

Frame pacing in Bloodborne is what makes the game seem stuttery. Nothing can fix it unless they decide to make a proper PC port or push out a patch for PS4 pro.
The frequent drops to 20 and less when there's a lot of particle effects or fur are what makes it look stuttery. Not to speak about how multiplayer tanks framerate.

I don't know if I ever had any issues with Bloodborne FPS drops (beyond the fact that it's only 30fps) but this doesn't seem to do anything on the surface. The main thing I discovered with Bloodborne's MP is that PC players are apparently a lot more hardcore. I got invaded like 7-8 times in Bloodborne and only lost once. In Dark Souls on the PC I barely ever win, ever.

I don't know if I ever had any issues with Bloodborne FPS drops (beyond the fact that it's only 30fps) but this doesn't seem to do anything on the surface. The main thing I discovered with Bloodborne's MP is that PC players are apparently a lot more hardcore. I got invaded like 7-8 times in Bloodborne and only lost once. In Dark Souls on the PC I barely ever win, ever.

Hackers, PC is full of them.

Define much.
I have maybe a 100 hours in both 2 and 3, just PvP time.
There are occasional cheaters, but they are few and far between.

Played plenty the first month both those games were out. I would encounter on average 1 cheater per 3-4 hour session I played. Everything from ridiculous health pools to teleportation and super speed. I ended up just beating the games offline because assholes make it unfun.

Just google Dark Souls cheaters and you will find tons of articles regarding the plague of trolls in this game on PC.

http://kotaku.com/dark-souls-3-pc-has-a-massive-cheating-problem-1773660707

This is pretty helpful if you still play DS PvP: http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/849/? or https://bitbucket.org/infausto/dark-souls-pvp-watchdog

Very few people are legit, though, and the game is pretty much played out now. Even the players who aren't blatantly cheating will still probably have used CE scripts to get the build they want. It's not so bad as long as you don't take it too seriously, but there's not much left there unless you're a die-hard fan.

Edit: I see you guys were talking about DS3. Whoops.

In all honesty, I'm not sure how much of it is me not being good at PvP and how much is hacking. I just know that in Bloodborne I was thumping people left and right and that simply doesn't happen with any of the PC Dark Souls ports. I probably have more deaths than wins with those, although I did better in 3 than the first two.

If cheating bothers you that much, then just go console for your PvP experience. Most the Twitch streamers I watch avoid PC ports for that very reason. Case and point: Bloodborne will never come to PC, so you'll probably never have to worry about cheating in PvP there. Ever.

Cheating on PC is going to happen. Especially since FromSoft is notorious for doing very little to nothing to combat it.

In DS3, as a host, you can password your game and only those you trust to share it with will have their summon signs pop up. Of course, this won't stop scummy cheating invaders, but it can keep some of the riff raff out.

Is this option in the Beta? Also is it something you have to enable, or is it just on by default? It would be strange if this wasn't just automatically implemented across the board; I mean who wouldn't want better performance?

you have to enable Boost...it's part of the current beta

How long does it usually take for a firmware upgrade like this to go from beta to full release ? Likely will grab a Pro and external SSD at the same time to start Nioh once this goes from beta to released,

That's interesting, about the notion that half the GPU could still be disabled. Maybe there's even more headroom available.

It's a shame they can't have a "boost" mode with just clock increases (as they do now) along with a "beast" mode that unleashes all the available CUs along with the clock increase.

Didn't watch the whole video, but it appears that game is locked at 30fps so can't really see much benefit anyway.

Didn't watch the whole video, but it appears that game is locked at 30fps so can't really see much benefit anyway.

Smooths out a couple rough spots but overall its more of a Xbox One S type of performance gain in most games. Nothing earth shattering but better than nothing I suppose.

I still need to play around with it, but the lack of dips *might* make it so that playing the game with TV interpolation on is now possible. Before it was a total mess and looked horrible. As much as I hate 30fps, I'd actually rather "fake" 60fps at the cost of response rate.

I tried using the Motion Plus setting on my TV with the PS4 Pro. The lag was bad, but even worse were the artifacts. Static UI elements like the cross-hair in a shooting game got badly mangled and it made the experience unplayable.

I'm probably going to pick up a pro after they patch this in, only thing left that really bothers me about the pro is how some games that have received pro support and improved resolution but do/don't downsample when hooked up to a 1080p tv (which i own).

Why is their a inconsistency there? What exactly is stopping some games from down sampling other then laziness from the developers? Sony should patch in the ability to toggle pro support and force the improvements on 1080p screens.

I'm probably going to pick up a pro after they patch this in, only thing left that really bothers me about the pro is how some games that have received pro support and improved resolution but do/don't downsample when hooked up to a 1080p tv (which i own).

Why is their a inconsistency there? What exactly is stopping some games from down sampling other then laziness from the developers? Sony should patch in the ability to toggle pro support and force the improvements on 1080p screens.

Sony wants you to buy a 4K TV.

The only upgrade i would want to do from my 60" plasma would be to a affordable 1080p oled which may never exist.

I really have zero interest in 4k in fact you couldn't make me use one, i use my tv exclusively for pc/console gaming so switching to a tv that i wont be able to run at its native res 99.9% of the time and would suffer from worse picture quality because of it doesn't appeal to me at all.

It made me get one.

An LG OLED55C6P :p

Same. I picked up a Sony X800D 43" a month before the Pro released. I use mine as a monitor as well hence the smaller size since I am only sitting like 2 feet away from it.

Any idea when is the final version of this patch coming out?
I bought a pro just before my vacation. Don't even have any games yet but I would really like this patch.
Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my month of vacation in Thailand :D

Back