Report: Google Is Developing a Standalone AR Headset to Rival HoloLens

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Documents obtained by WinFuture show that Google is working on a standalone augmented reality headset similar to Microsoft’s HoloLens. The device, which would function without a tether to a PC, is expected to feature several camera sensors, a microphone for vocal input, and Qualcomm processors.

According to WinFuture, the project is still at a very early stage of development, as both Qualcomm QSC603 and Qualcomm QSC605 are still currently under consideration as potential chips to drive the AR headset. WinFuture maintains the developers were busy prototyping the hardware design, and that “there are still several stages of hardware development to go through.”

Every company that's developing AR headsets are just making news releases in the hopes that they can freeze the market. Right now there's no market to freeze, so release away. I really hope there's great headsets and we end up with a competitive market.

Not sure about AR, but I think VR has a future in the next 10 years.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Still a solution in search of a problem.

I have a problem that AR could solve... sheet music. I'd love to wear glasses that could display the chords and lyrics / music sheets in front of me when I need them while playing at a jam session or something like that. It's really inconvenient to lug my orchestra stand around for that.

I'd love to wear glasses that could display the chords and lyrics / music sheets in front of me when I need them

you then need to couple that with those haptic feadback gloves that "teach" you to play better. that could be kinda cool.

Back