Report: Bot Traffic Is Over 61% Of All Website Traffic

Click on anything on most websites and track where that click goes, it's not hard to see why automated traffic is choking the pipes.

I wish statistics like this were a surprise, but sadly they are not.

Skynet, I'm still waiting for you to go live...

You would think that the nefarious types would fly under the radar more. If the net becomes overwhelmed with only bot traffic there is no bandwidth left for people to fall in to their trap.

Time to dial it back a little eh hackers?

2.png

Not all automated traffic is bad. I know the software I use to upload billing uses a screen scraper to login to a web site and upload the file for me since the place does not have an sftp to upload to.

i still have a difficult time comprehending what a "bot" truly is. I get strange images if my head of a 6 axis robot mounted in front of a computer in some massive shed next to his 500 buddies.. button mashing! But something tells me that isnt exactly it..... :p

How can this be? I thought that 80% of the traffic was bittorrent. Or maybe it was 80% is Netflix?

=/ im so sad that there'll never be a new episode. :(

I don't know. I LOVED Futurama, but at the rate it was going downhill in the later seasons, I think it's best to let it die at this point then drag it through the mud any further :(

meh look at the chart. 85% of "bot" traffic is either search engines or "other impersonators" with only a fairly small amount relatively for spammers/hackers. Source data seems biased, but meh

I don't trust anyone who says they can accurately determine how much Internet bandwidth something is using as a quick Google search of the past year resulted in these stories..

CBS has a video report about the lucrative business of cats on the internet. According to Friskies, 15% of all internet traffic is connected to cats.

On an average day, Google accounts for about 25 percent of all consumer internet traffic running through North American ISPs. That’s a far larger slice of than previously thought, and it means that with so many consumer devices connecting to Google each day, it’s bigger than Facebook, Netflix, and Instagram combined.

Half of Internet Traffic in North America Is Just to Watch Netflix and YouTube

Google goes dark for 2 minutes, kills 40% of world's net traffic

Mobile Makes Up 15% Of All Internet Traffic

Guess How Much of All Internet Traffic Is Totally Fake? The answer is 10 percent, according to a new 20 month study from web ad company Solve Media. Ten percent of all online traffic comes courtesy of bots, not humans.

Netflix makes up 33% of the traffic .. Amazon makes up 1.8% of downstream traffic.. Hulu at 1.4% and HBO GO at 0.5%. In total, all audio and video streaming services account for 65% of traffic between 9:00 p.m. and midnight. File sharing network BitTorrent takes up 16% of traffic

BitTorrent Still Makes Up 35 Percent of US Upstream Internet Traffic
Bit_Torrent_Still_Makes_Up_35_Percent_of_US_Upstr.png

And how much bandwidth the NSA might be using.. can't believe with all their supposed data collecting activities that it can't be using some measurable amount of bandwidth!

Back