Replacing Zalman 9500

AciDeX

Gawd
I have an old school Zalman 9500, picked it up about 5+ years ago and it's lasted through AM2, AM3, and now onto AM3+ and still kicking. Sadly with the recent FX6300 purchase it's not quite up to snuff. I know the edition I have was never intended to last through this many sockets but props should go to AMD for at least keeping the socket standard. While my stock idle temps were pretty promising, hitting 4.8ghz OC i'm starting to push the high 30's to mid 40's depending on ambient temps. On load I'm getting close to the high 70's and that's way too hot for my liking.

Anyways I'm looking to stay on air, I don't really have the room for aio h2O. Also do not have a ton of clearance as it is. Still rocking the Antec 1000 I've had since '99 and I don't see myself trading out anytime soon. The Zalman 9500 I have is listed as (H)125mm and I have about 2-ish more inches I think I can clear before hitting my side panel fan. So I think (H)155mm is about as high as I can go.

I would say my budget is about $50-60 for the heatsink with at least one fan. I do need to pick up some new system fans so grabbing another for a push/pull shouldn't be a problem.

Right now I'm leaning towards
XIGMATEK Dark Knight II $49.99
PHANTEKS PH-TC12DX $49.99
Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B $49.99
Silverstone Argon AR03 $49.99 (This is the tallest so far and I don't think it will fit :rolleyes:)

I'm also fond of Thermalright coolers, as there is a special place in my heart for the XP-90 and the HR-03 I had back in the day. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on a TRUE/Spirit.

I'd like to hear some other thoughts and suggestions if anyone has any other ideas. Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm thinking the CM Hyper 212 EVO with a couple Scythe [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Gentle Typhoon AP-15's mounted push/pull might be a pretty effective combination too.
[/FONT]

I replaced my 9500 with Thermalright ts140 on a 4770K haswell and it working great very happy with my temps. Max Ive seen is upper 70\s

Cool, what case are you using? To be more specific I'm still running an Antec SX-1030 SOHO, which seems to be the same width as a Antec 900. If I run into clearance issues with my side panel fan I'll just screw the fan to the outside of the panel lol.

I cannot find a ts120 anywhere, those seem to be completely out of stock (only the ts120m is available). I can get a HR-02 Macho for $2 bucks more than the ts140 and seems to be a little bit better, and only 2mm taller.

Back