Replacing Z-5500 front satellites?

Bleet

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
126
I have the Logitech Z-5500 system hooked up to my computer, tv, and PS3. I love it, but I find the satellites to be a tad lacking compared to the bass. I was wondering if I could replace the front satellites with new ones considering that they use regular speaker wire. Specifically, I was looking at these four pairs:

Sony floorstanding

Polk floorstanding
Polk bookshelf

Sony bookshelf


Thanks,
nick
 
I believe the 5500 speakers are 6 ohm, so if you buy 8 ohm speakers they will be somewhat quieter. You can definitely replace them, just don't go under 6 ohms impedance.

EDIT: hmm, I guess Logitech doesn't quote an impedance for the speakers. You could always measure it yourself, the DC value should be close to 4, 6, or 8 ohms.
 
I read somewhere on gamespot that they were 8 ohms, I'll try to find the link.

EDIT: found it, here. Last post, says 8ohms, but I'm not sure where he got that info.

another link here says 8 ohms.
 
I have the same set and I would love to try http://shop3.frys.com/product/40050...KzpUzD-FA**.node1?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
since its going for very cheap right now.
For $119 + S/H a pair it would be hard to beat the R50's.

Also: Make sure you place two seperate orders (they are sold individually btw, not in pairs), that way shipping comes out to only $30 total, whereas if you place everything on one order you end up paying nearly $45 for shipping. Not sure why they do that but you can check for yourself.
 
I would get the R50's but the cherry goes with absolutely nothing of mine. It would look beyond out of place.
 
i did this with some polk R15s when i had z5500s and it didnt really help much... theres still the whole problem of the crossover in the subwoofer being somewhere in the 150hz region!!! things gonna sound boomy no matter what
 
Yes it's really a waste to upgrade the Z-5500s...all the Logitech's don't have tweeters so the crossover is forced to 150hz.

With Klipsch sets its doable since the crossover is at 120hz due to better satellite extension.

And yes any sub that has to cross over to 150hz is going to sound boomy, I suspect even a JL Fathom 113 will sound like a cheap sub (well probably not its just conjecture).
 
Actually the z-5500 crossover is set at 120hz.
I really wish they had adjustable crossovers which would make this system 129381293x better.

Different speakers will definitely improve the highs and mids. I tried out few different car speakers, out of curosity, with the z-5500 before installing them in my car and the sound from the car speakers had much more clarity with the highs and the mids. The 3 inch drivers really hurt the sound output imo.
 
The 120hz estimate has been mostly speculation based on Klipsch's traditional 120hz crossover (I too believed for the longest time it was 120hz).

The first time this was challenged was when a moderator on the Logitech forums stated the Z-5500s had a 150hz crossover. I looked online and noticed most of the websites like pcmag and a few seller sites list 150hz as the crossover point. Also 150hz (and 180hz) have been traditional Logitech crossover points for their older products so I wouldn't be surprised that this is the case.

The Klipsch's are down -3db at 113hz, a 120hz crossover is far from optimal, and it has a larger enclosure and a tweeter handling the midrange. If you really think about it, a 120hz crossover for the Logitech's would be fairly incompetent. A lot of the smaller satellites out there like the Jamo i300 also have 150hz crossovers.

This is fairly academic but could answer why Logitech's traditionally have subs that leak quite a bit of midbass.
 
The 120hz estimate has been mostly speculation based on Klipsch's traditional 120hz crossover (I too believed for the longest time it was 120hz).

The first time this was challenged was when a moderator on the Logitech forums stated the Z-5500s had a 150hz crossover. I looked online and noticed most of the websites like pcmag and a few seller sites list 150hz as the crossover point. Also 150hz (and 180hz) have been traditional Logitech crossover points for their older products so I wouldn't be surprised that this is the case.

The Klipsch's are down -3db at 113hz, a 120hz crossover is far from optimal, and it has a larger enclosure and a tweeter handling the midrange. If you really think about it, a 120hz crossover for the Logitech's would be fairly incompetent. A lot of the smaller satellites out there like the Jamo i300 also have 150hz crossovers.

This is fairly academic but could answer why Logitech's traditionally have subs that leak quite a bit of midbass.
After reading your post I downloaded a tone generator and tested out the frequency myself. The subwoofer receives sounds up to 150hz while the speakers receive sound all the way down to 120hz. :confused:
I still believe that this system would benefit greatly by replacing to speakers with bigger drivers in the front.
 
I went ahead a got a pair of the sony floorstanding speakers and hooked them up. I have to say it really is a great improvement.
 
Lol funny thing I noticed, those Sony floorstanders are 25lbs each, my bookshelf speakers are 40lbs each.
 
Lol I just think its kind of funny that i have these bricks lying precariously on some rather thin stands.

It's also a peculiar foil as my english teacher would say.
 
Back
Top