Replacing X-QPack windows with mesh?

Firelord

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 23, 2005
Messages
414
I was thinking of replacing the right hand window with a piece of mesh to aid cooling of the VRMs and more importantly memory but would this cause airflow problems and have a negative effect? I was considering doing all windows but think the dust would be hell!

Any thoughts?
 

VulturEMaN

Gawd
Joined
Sep 11, 2005
Messages
1,017
Firelord said:
I was thinking of replacing the right hand window with a piece of mesh to aid cooling of the VRMs and more importantly memory but would this cause airflow problems and have a negative effect? I was considering doing all windows but think the dust would be hell!

Any thoughts?

On my large case (see sig and newegg), dust will build up on it every so often (like 2 weeks till you can notice it), and it actually keeps my comp much cooler than everyone else's temps that I see.

Last night, I had the window open for a sec, and the temps shot down to 20C...but the room was still nice and warm...lalala

I recommend mesh/grating...
 

CRaZYMoFo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
489
Why not just place filters behind the mesh to keep most of the dust out? There are quite a few cheap, easy-to-find materials that work as great filters. I know pantyhose is one of them.
 

MD_Willington

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
2,233
You can do the entire mod with gear from walmart, pick up a mesh garbage can and some nylons...

Should be quite easy...
 

VulturEMaN

Gawd
Joined
Sep 11, 2005
Messages
1,017
CRaZYMoFo said:
Why not just place filters behind the mesh to keep most of the dust out? There are quite a few cheap, easy-to-find materials that work as great filters. I know pantyhose is one of them.

Err...it might look fairly ghetto by then friend :D

Mesh isn't much different than a window. I can see the inside of my case fine though it. Putting a big filter over it would be the ultimate ghetto.
 

CRaZYMoFo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
489
Ghetto is a matter of opinion :D
Can look quite professional if done carefully and neatly. Find a decent colour etc.
 

MikeyB

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Messages
413
Or you could just invest in a big pack of canned air. Stick it through the mesh, spray, done.
 

VulturEMaN

Gawd
Joined
Sep 11, 2005
Messages
1,017
MikeyB said:
Or you could just invest in a big pack of canned air. Stick it through the mesh, spray, done.

Thats what I do. It only seems to attract dust at the end of every month for me anyways, so it's not a big cleaning deal.

Mesh is fun/good/pwning windows.
 
Top