Replacing Video Card

Asus Prime

n00b
Hi I'm new here and have a question. I've been on my Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 since 2013. It is a 1 gig 128 bit card and seems to be a bit worn out, blurry texts and greyscale.

I was running a Gigabyte AB350M (x370) board with a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU and 16 gig memory. PSU was an old Seasonic 520m. I bought a Powercolor RX 570 video card and ran it a week so far. I was having screen lockups and resets. I went ahead and replaced the board and the PSU but kept the CPU and mems.

Now I have an Asus Prime B450M-A/csm and Seasonic Focus Gold 750M and I still have the same problem. I'm returning the video card tomorrow. I found two choices for the replacement:

Sapphire Pulse or Gigabyte RX 570 or some brand of GTX 1060. The RX is 4 gig 256 bit and the GTX is 2 gig 128 bit.

I'm not a hard core gamer and not playing the latest but play older graphical games and I do want image quality.

What do you think?

Thanks

Before you replace you GPU, unless you can still return could be a lot if things. Is it a clean os install? Did you do a clean GPU driver install, maybe try ddu. Powercolor isn't usually the best but I have not had trouble with them in the past, including a rx 460. You might also get afterburner and take a look at your temps maybe poor airflow?

Hi I'm new here and have a question. I've been on my Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 since 2013. It is a 1 gig 128 bit card and seems to be a bit worn out, blurry texts and greyscale.

I was running a Gigabyte AB350M (x370) board with a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU and 16 gig memory. PSU was an old Seasonic 520m. I bought a Powercolor RX 570 video card and ran it a week so far. I was having screen lockups and resets. I went ahead and replaced the board and the PSU but kept the CPU and mems.

Now I have an Asus Prime B450M-A/csm and Seasonic Focus Gold 750M and I still have the same problem. I'm returning the video card tomorrow. I found two choices for the replacement:

Sapphire Pulse or Gigabyte RX 570 or some brand of GTX 1060. The RX is 4 gig 256 bit and the GTX is 2 gig 128 bit.

I'm not a hard core gamer and not playing the latest but play older graphical games and I do want image quality.

What do you think?

Thanks

My first thought is it sounds like you have an issue with your monitor.

I thought there was a chance I got a defective video card and I was willing to try another RX 570. The trouble with Amazon is the shopping. I don't always get all the available items in the list and so I have to use different approaches.

This is how I found the Sapphire RX 570. My last two video cards were Sapphire too and they're old but still working. I just learned that 2 gig is bare minimum for 1080p so that leaves the RX 570 as they say, 4 gig is better. I also stayed at 128 bit or better.

Seeing that the RX is 4 gig and 256 bit I want to try another one but it won't be Powercolor now that I found more on Amazon.

Forgot to mention this. I uninstall the video drivers for the old card before I shut down as recommended. With the new card I used the disk and after that Windows Update. I did not reinstall Windows.

My monitor is an Asus VS239 23" IPS LCD.

Last edited:
My first thought is it sounds like you have an issue with your monitor.

I’m going to second this. How old is that monitor? Do you have another monitor you can compare it with to see if you still have those same image quality issues?

It's not the image quality problem. Sometime the picture freeze then black out and reset. I had the monitor since 2012-13. I built the system starting with the i5 3570 CPU and Gigabyte B75 board.

Then Gigabyte AB350M with Ryzen 3 2200g then Ryzen 5 2600. I was rebuilding the system part by part each month. I replaced the R3 CPU because it ran hot ripping DVDs. The R5 took care of it.

Now I have Asus B450M with the R5 2600 and new 750 PSU. It's rock solid with my old HD7770 card but the text is in greyscale and a bit blurry.

check your video cables. make sure the connections are tight. you can also try different cables to connect from the video card to the monitor. if you're currently using dvi, try connecting with hdmi or vice versa. see if you get the same result with different cables/connection types.

I'd avoid Powercolor, as they have a history off cutting build costs to hit pricepoints.

For AMD, your best bets for build quality are XFX, Sapphire and Asus.

That sounds hard to diagnose without a second computer and monitor to test things out with. What sort of monitor cable are you using? I could see a broken vga cable causing greyscale or blurry images. Lockups shouldn't be happening though. Maybe run a stress test (eg prime95), a memory test, check your fans, etc. Can you re-install windows? I know re-installing is a total pain, but sometimes it does fix problems if you just don't know what the root issue is.

I think you're confused about my request. I was asking which card should I pick. My monitor is fine and the greyscale is from the old card. I replaced it with the Powercolor RX 570 and it had problems.

I'm getting the Sapphire RX 570 today.

Update:

I installed it and had a couple of problems with it but not like the other card. Learned that I just need to turn off hardware acceleration and it's been great.

Last edited:
what sort of problems were you having? turn off hardware acceleration for what and why? sounds like something is amiss beyond the GPU....

When I start Google the screen is black. I used Edge to browse for the solution and found a tip to go to compatibility mode. It worked with Vista. Later I tried to run my Prime Video and it says OS not supported. This time I Googled and learned to turn off hardware acceleration. Back to Win 10 and everything's great.

Using drivers from the pack in CD or from windows update is a bad idea. Download the most recent ones from amd.
And what windows are you running?

I'd avoid Powercolor, as they have a history off cutting build costs to hit pricepoints.

For AMD, your best bets for build quality are XFX, Sapphire and Asus.

Your crazy. PowerColor built some of the best reference Vega56/64s out there. They sold tens of thousands of them that were ran 24/7 in mining farms and I do not know of anyone in any of my mining servers (well over 100 so probably 5k ppl) ever had a PC Vega die.

Every other brand was covered. As long as you aren't buying a button of the barrel sub $100 card I do not think you will have issues.

Back