Replacing the CPU in a Dell Vostro 1400

pdp76

Weaksauce
My current Vostro 1400 has the T5470 1.6 C2Duo. I just bought my sister a Vostro 1400 with a T5670 1.8 C2Duo. I know the 1.8 isn't gonna be much faster than the 1.6, but since I got it for her, I figure I deserve the faster processor :LOL:.... so I'm thinking about swapping our CPUs, especially since it looks like a very easy thing to do according to the Dell service manual.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if my suspicions are correct, and that the CPU swap will be very easy and straightforward. Has anyone out there done this? Are there any caveats that I missed? like...

- Will the BIOS that I have (A07) support the newer T5670?
- The Dell service manual doesn't mention it, but shouldn't I smear some AS5, or the likes, on the CPU before I put back on the heatsink?
- Any other potential OS (Vista Basic) issues I'll run into if I swap a CPU?
- Any other considerations I didn't think about?

Thanks in advance!

My current Vostro 1400 has the T5470 1.6 C2Duo. I just bought my sister a Vostro 1400 with a T5670 1.8 C2Duo. I know the 1.8 isn't gonna be much faster than the 1.6, but since I got it for her, I figure I deserve the faster processor :LOL:.... so I'm thinking about swapping our CPUs, especially since it looks like a very easy thing to do according to the Dell service manual.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if my suspicions are correct, and that the CPU swap will be very easy and straightforward. Has anyone out there done this? Are there any caveats that I missed? like...

- The Dell service manual doesn't mention it, but shouldn't I smear some AS5, or the likes, on the CPU before I put back on the heatsink?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not real sure on this one, but you can always set up an online chat with a Dell rep for this one. Just say that you bought a new CPU and see if your laptop will work properly with it. ;)

Thanks in advance!

-I would flash with the newest bios before swapping the processor.
-Yes, you definitely put a little AS5 on there. Not too much, though.
-It may make you reactivate...it's hard to say; Vista is unpredictable that way.
-Doing this might void both warranties, FYI.

*might* void the warranty? I think you might be a bit optimistic there :)

Here's another thought: if the models are otherwise identical, could you swap the two hard drives and declare victory?

Here's another thought: if the models are otherwise identical, could you swap the two hard drives and declare victory?

This would be a good idea if possible.

About the warranty thing, if the parts are user-serviceable then the warranty is not voided unless damage is caused by the user. What that means basically is that any component you can get to with relative ease(basically, standard tools) can be changed by a user, and the warranty is still valid unless that person caused damage to the computer in the process. If you do decide to swap the CPUs, providing you don't break anything you've got nothing to worry about :).

Each Dell has a service tag (seiral #) assigned to it. And Dell knows the original configuration.

Replace the processor and you void the warranty if you send it in with it installed. If you swap it back, no voidness. IF YOU BREAK IT YOU VOIDED YOUR WARRANTY. That's it.

Here are the processors that it supports.

Core 2 Duo
2.2 GHz, 800 Mhz, 4M L2 cache (T7500)
2.0 GHz, 800 Mhz, 4M L2 cache (T7300)
1.8 GHz, 800 Mhz, 2M L2 cache (T7100)
1.66 GHz, 667 Mhz, 2M L2 cache (T5450)
1.5 GHz, 667 Mhz, 2M L2 cache (T5250)
Celeron M
1.86 GHz, 1M L2 cache (540)

Chipset is a Intel G965 / P965.

Enjoy.

Thanks in advance!

Update the BIOS
Use thermal grease (don't go overboard)
No problems with the CPU swap, its an OEM install
If you send the system in for warranty work, you need to swap back the CPU's.

My full suggestion, just swap the HDD's and take the better notebook. Do a transfer of ownership if you have too (her name to yours), vista will not get picky and your OS will be fine. Don't bother with the CPU replacement.

If you do it, its easy.

Back