• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Replacing OpenIndiana 151a9 with... what?

TheLastBoyscout

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
142
Several years ago, I built the home NAS in my sig (ASUS E35M1-I | 2x 4GB | 2x 250 GB 2.5" HDD | 4x 2TB 5k3000 | CHENBRO ES34169-BK-120 | OpenIndiana 151a9 | WHS2011 in VirtualBox 5.0.12), and have been happy with it for quite some time. When Microsoft stopped updates for WHS 2011, I took a closer look at the system, replaced the WHS 2011 with Server 2016, and noticed some UI problems in OI (no task bar...) as well as in the Napp-it UI.

Sometime in the future, I'm going to replace the MB with a new one, since the performance leaves a little to be desired, but for now, I'd like to replace OpenIndiana 151a9 with something newer. So that gives me OI Hipster and OmniOS CE. Now, I still need to run a Windows Server in a VM on that system.

My questions:
1. Are the most recent VirtualBox versions (that now require QT5) running fine on OI Hipster?
2. Is it possible to run a Windows Server in a 'VM' on OmniOS CE? Are there any good instructions on how to do that?

Thanks!
TLB
 
Back
Top