Replacing non-failed drives in a 9265-8i array

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by sinisterDei, Apr 10, 2018.

1. sinisterDei

sinisterDei Gawd

So, I've got a 9265-8i running Windows with 12x 3TB drives in a RAID 6 array. All drives are online.

TWO of the drives are ST3000DM001 model drives, known to be highly failure prone over time.

I have in my possession two replacement drives, HGST 3TB units.

Is there a 'safer' method to replacing these drives in the array than simply yanking them one at a time and allowing a rebuild?

2. Blue Fox

Blue Fox [H]ardForum Junkie

Need the array to stay up? If not, could shut down your server and clone the drives. At least that's what I have done in the past.

3. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

You could do a drive by drive rebuild but that might bring the whole thing down.

Do you have any kind of back up?

4. sinisterDei

sinisterDei Gawd

Yeah I've got all the data elsewhere. It'd just make me feel stupid if I voluntarily caused a rebuild failure

5. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

That's what someone from the showoff thread did when he replaced an entire set of drives.

One at a time.

Not sure how else to do it short of making a new vd with new drives and copying everything.

6. sinisterDei

sinisterDei Gawd

Yeah. I was hoping there was maybe a function in MSM to transition a drive offline to a spare like our SAn can do. Instead of rebuilding from the array it can copy a live drive to a replacement and then swap them out .